Advanced Studies Electives: International Students
The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) welcomes students who are in good academic standing and are in their final clinical year of medical school education to participate in our International Visiting Student Elective program. We offer a variety of electives at UMMS teaching sites. Electives for visiting students are available on a competitive basis from September to April of each academic year.
- Students must be in their final clinical year of medical school.
- Students must meet all the elective prerequisites.
- Students must be fluent in English. (See TOFEL requirement below). All application materials must be submitted in English.
- International students are eligible to participate in type B and C electives only. See the online published list of available International electives (left menu column) for details. Elective availability is subject to change without notice.
- There is a non-refundable $50.00 application fee. This fee will be applied to the $500.00 administrative fee for each accepted elective.
- Malpractice/Liability Insurance minimums are $1 million per occurrence/ $3 million aggregate.
UMMS accepts applications for electives twice per calendar year.
| Fall Semester (Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec)|| AY 14-15|
| Application Deadline || April 1|
| Final Decision post-marked by|| June 1|
| Spring Semester (Jan, Feb, March, April)|| AY 14-15|
| Application Deadline|| August 1|
| Final Decision post-marked by|| October 1|
Applicants considered for an elective will be notified by Office of Student Affairs (OSA) prior to June 1st for the Fall semester and October 1st for Spring semester. Applications received after the published deadlines will not be eligible for an elective.
Please Note: Changes to an International visiting student's elective schedule are not allowed once the student has arrived in the United States.
Complete the entire International Students Application packet including the application and all other required documentation (Pleas see the International elective guidelines for details).
Mail the completed application along with a $50 non-refundable application fee to UMMS (this fee will be applied to the $500.00 administrative fee for each accepted elective). Applications that are missing information will not be processed.
Applicants will be notified after June 1st (fall semester) and October 1st (spring semester) if their application will be considered for an elective.