Elective Description: To understand and comprehend the clinical presentation, course and objectives of patients with end-stage liver/ kidney disease, diabetes, and hepatobiliary disorders. Students will be involved in patient care during rounds and in the operating room, conferences and teaching tutorials. After this elective students are expected to have understanding on:
- Risks and benefits of transplantation and immunosuppression, and management of complications.
- Organ donation and donor selection process: living donor selection meeting, extended criteria donor selection, participation in multi-organ procurement surgery.
- Selection of liver, kidney and pancreas recipients
- Organ allocation rules and organ-recipient matching
- Multidisciplinary Post-transplant ambulatory care management
- Most common hepatobiliary surgical cases (cholelithiasis, HCC, CCC, pancreas cancer, etc).