- Learning Communities
- Advanced Studies
- Student Life
|Course Name:||Child Protection Program|
Contact: Maxine Schmeidler Maxine.Schmeidler@umassmed.edu
|Sites Available:||UMMHC-University Campus|
|Months Offered:||E1 - M10|
|Number of Students / Month:||1|
|Prerequisites:||Completion of 3rd Year Pediatric Clerkship|
|Elective Description: This elective will provide an opportunity for students to participate in medical evaluations for suspected abuse and neglect. This experience will allow the students to:
1) Acquire skills to obtain a detailed history in a non-judgmental manner.
2) Learn how to distinguish developmentally reasonable accidental injuries from inflicted injuries.
3)Learn how to do a detailed genital examination in children & adolescents who are suspected
victims of sexual abuse.
4) Complete self-instruction slide set regarding physical and sexual abuse findings.
5) Learn how to interact with multiple disciplines within the community.
6) Learn how to file a report for possible child maltreatment with the Department of Social Services.
7) When possible observe court testimony.
Note: This elective is primarily observational for students given the highly sensitive nature of the information collected in the histories and legal ramifications of the examinations.
|Location: UMMHC-University Campus, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655 www.mapquest.com|
|Website: Department of Pediatrics http://www.umassmed.edu/pediatrics/|