Applications for admission to the University of Massachusetts Medical School are submitted on-line through the American Medical College Application Service. (AMCAS). Please review application submission deadlines for the MD and MD/PhD programs.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early!
AMCAS requires 4-6 weeks to verify applications. Submission of applications to AMCAS by the MD and MD/Phd program deadlines does not guarantee that your application will reach us in time for applicants to complete secondary forms to meet the posted deadlines. Extensions will not be granted for late applications.
The Admissions Committee will review an completed applications with all supporting documents:
- Verified AMCAS application
- Use of third parties, companies or professional services for writing personal statements is strongly discouraged and considered a breach of ethical conduct. Contracting with such services would not be considered compatible with ethical standards in the practice of medicine.
- Letters of Recommendation:
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant's pre-medical advisory committee is required. In the event that such documentation is not provided, two letters of recommendation from instructors in the prerequisite science courses are acceptable. Letters of recommendation from commercial advisors are discouraged and are not a substitute for this requirement. Applicants should send all letters of recommendation directly to the AMCAS Letter Service who will forward the letters to our office electronically. AMCAS will accept letters from users of VirtualEvals, Interfolio, and via the US Postal System. If you have a question about whether or not your advising office uses VirtualEvals, please contact your undergraduate advising office.
- Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) exam results.
- Applications will not be considered complete until scores from the last expected MCAT date on the AMCAS application are received. UMMS will accept scores up to three years prior to the time of application.
- UMMS Supplemental Application Forms.
- Upon receipt of the AMCAS verified application, applicants are sent an email with directions for completing the on-line secondary form:
- Supplemental Form (includes a series of short essays)
- Residency Validation form-Applicants to the MD and MD/PhD programs who wish to be considered as MA residents must declare Massachusetts as their state of legal residence on their AMCAS application and are required to complete this form. Applicants must also be US citizens, permanent residents or have approved DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) status.
- Phd Information Release Authorization (for applicants to the MD/Phd program only).
- Technical Standards Acknowledgement
- Application Fee
- MD program applicants must submit a non-refundable $100 application fee. Payment must be submitted on-line or a personal, bank check or money order mailed to the admissions office. Please enter your AMCAS ID# on your check. This fee is waived for MD/Phd program applicants. We will waive our $100 application fee if you are granted an AMCAS fee waiver. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX (508-856-3629) a copy of your AMCAS fee waiver confirmation to us.
Applicants will be able to view an on-line check list to view if applications are complete or which items have not been received. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all required documents are received.
The Admissions Committee is composed of faculty members representing various disciplines from the basic and clinical sciences and two medical students. Committee members carefully review each application and all enclosed information provided by or on behalf of the applicant. The University adheres strictly to all applicable state and federal regulations relating to non-discrimination and equal opportunity.
Once complete, each application is reviewed by the Admissions Committee and a decision is made regarding the offer of an interview. An interview is required for acceptance and interviews are conducted in Worcester at the invitation of the committee.