Annual Disability Policy Seminar in Washington, DC
Every spring, Shriver Center LEND Fellows join disability advocates and organizations from across the country for the annual Disability Policy Seminar in Washington DC that is hosted by:
- Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD)
- The Arc of the United States
- United Cerebral Palsy (UCD)
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD)
- National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities (NACDD)
- Self-Advocates Becoming Empowered (SABE).
Day 1 & 2: LEND Fellows attend two days of informative sessions to bring them up-to-date on the pending federal legislation that affect people with disabilities and their families.
Day 3: A Massachusetts disability advocacy delegation of LEND fellows and other state partners meet with lawmakers on Capitol Hill to educate and inform them about the critical needs of the disability community in Massachusetts and how upcoming legislation can dramatically help or hinder these needs.
Purpose: The trip provides a time for our Fellows to try out their LEND learning in the most powerful, civically-oriented way. Fellows find that their voices count in influencing key public policy outcomes and that their roles as LEND leaders make a meaningful difference through this experience.
[back to Advanced Leadership Fellowship Program]