Campus Updates Archive
March 22, 2010: Construction
information meeting for the campus will take place on Wednesday, March
31, at 3 p.m. in the Faculty Conference Room to discuss the start
of construction and the impact construction will have on campus.
Fences going up on April 5
first activity you will see is the installation of fencing around the
construction site and the arrival of several large construction
trailers, starting on April 5. The Basic and West parking lots will
remain open during this time, although soil boring in both lots may take
up several parking spaces on certain days.
March 11, 2010: Construction of the Albert Sherman Center begins April 19
The first construction steps include:
- closing the north end of First Road;
- eliminating the Basic and West parking lots at the corner of First and North roads;
- establishing new routes and stops for the shuttle buses; and
- expansion of the free shuttle parking program.
Phase II of the shuttle parking program
Those affected by Phase II of the shuttle parking program include first-year School of Medicine and Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences students and additional UMass Memorial employees. No additional Medical School employees will be assigned to the free shuttle program at this time.
- Individuals who enter the shuttle parking program during Phase II will be assigned parking at the former Spag’s/Building 19 parking lot on Route 9 in Shrewsbury, which will be exclusively designated for them.
- After April 19, first-year SOM and GSBS students will not have assigned parking on the University campus until they become second-year students in early August.
- Employees with reserved parking in the Basic Lot will be assigned to Level 5 of the First Road garage, with the entire 259-space level designated for reserved parking. A number of employees who are on the waiting list for reserved parking will be offered the opportunity to pay for a reserved spot on Level 5 of the First Road garage at this time.
- All students and employees can park on campus after 5 p.m. on weekdays and at any time on weekends.
- Employees who wish to take advantage of the free parking option are encouraged to volunteer for the shuttle parking program. For more information contact the Parking/Access Control office at 508-856-3630.
With the closing of First Road, shuttle bus routes will be reconfigured slightly. Construction vehicles will be limited to entering and exiting the construction site on First Road via Plantation Street and North Road. Although cars will be barred from First Road near the construction site, pedestrians will still be able to use the Medical School entrance.