Specialty Clinic at Community Healthlink
Community Healthlink (CHL), a member of UMass Memorial Health Care, is the largest, multi-service, private, non-profit mental health organization in central Massachusetts. CHL is a diverse agency with over 1,000 employees for 80 different programs serving more than 17,000 persons annually throughout Worcester County. Over the years, CHL has positioned itself as the leading provider of comprehensive mental health care for patients in the region. Core services include: 1) outpatient mental health services for adults, children and families in 7 separate clinics; 2) case management and family support with home-based services for adults, children and adolescents; and 3) residential and rehabilitation services for chronically mentally ill adults.
The outpatient mental health treatment team at CHL includes psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists and mental health counselors trained and experienced in the care of those with serious mental health problems.
The Psychotic Disorders Specialty Clinic
The Psychotic Disorders Specialty Clinic at CHL provides diagnostic assessment and ongoing treatment for patients suffering from schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders. The address is 72 Jaques Avenue, Worcester, MA 01610. To make an appointment, please call 508-856-MIND or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Screening and Treatment of Early Psychosis (STEP) Clinic
As part of the Psychotic Disorders Specialty Clinic, the STEP Clinic at CHL provides clinical service to individuals between the ages of 18 and 40 who are experiencing early psychotic symptoms or in the prodrome phase.
The STEP Clinic provides:
- Comprehensive Evaluation: We will meet with both the patient and the family to get a thorough history and assessment. Before beginning treatment we will decide on what treatment goals matter most to everyone.
- Psychopharmacological intervention: Our physicians will optimize medications using the most up-to-date clinical evidence. We can also refer you to research studies for new medications that are being investigated.
- Psychotherapy: Our therapists use a form of talk therapy designed to help people who deal with unusual things like strange voices or feeling scared about things more than others.
- Primary care integration: We provide primary care on site at CHL for those patients who are in need of primary care service. Integrated primary and behavioral health care is a unique feature of our clinic.
- Substance Abuse Screening and Treatments: Almost half of individuals with a psychotic disorder will develop a substance abuse problem in his/her life, and up to 90% use tobacco. Screening, motivational interviewing and medication will be administered by staff to help prevent and reduce substance abuse.
- Family Therapy and Education: We feel that keeping the whole family informed and supported is an important aspect of recovery.