Director, Bruce A. Woda, MD
Anatomic Pathology occupies 35,000 square feet in a new state of the art laboratory. The laboratory accessions more than 55,000 surgical pathology specimens and 65,000 cytopathology specimens. Our diagnostic work is supported by the sections of Molecular Diagnostics, Immunohistochemistry and Electron Microscopy. Our 22 subspecialty oriented faculty and our community pathology division are dedicated to the provision of excellent patient care, education and scholarly activity.
• Dr. Robert Padera, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA will be our visiting Speaker as part of the "Seminars in Surgical Pathology" series on Wednesday, April 28.
• Dr. Andrew Rosenberg, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA will be our visiting Speaker as part of the "Seminars in Surgical Pathology' series in May.
• Publication of a Textbook Edited by Ashraf Khan entitled “Surgical Pathology of Endocrine and Neuroendocrine Tumors” Editor Ashraf Khan, Published by Humana Press, 2009.
• Course Director, International CME in Surgical Pathology, Cytology and Hematology, sponsored by Indian College of Pathologists, held at Mahatma Gandhi Medical College, Indore, India, Feb. 5-7, 2010. For further details visit www.intcme2010.com
• Dr. Ashraf Khan is giving a course on “Cancer Pathobiology and Advances in Breast Cancer Management” as part of the Summer University Program of Aligarh University, Aligarh, India, Feb. 8-10, 2010. For details visit http://www.amulive.net/news/get-ready-for-amu-aligarh-summer-university-2010/
Research in Anatomic Pathology
• Vanguri VK, Woda BA, Jiang Z. The Sensitivity of P504S / α-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR) immunohistochemistry for the detection of prostate. 2006, App Immunohistochem Molecular Morphol, 2006, 14:365-68
• Carswell B, Woda BA, Wang XF, Li CZ, Jiang Z. Detection of prostate cancer by detection of prostate cancer by α-methylacyl CoA racemase/P504S immunohistochemistry in previously negative prostate needle biopsies. 2006, Histopathol 48:668-73
• Jiang Z, Chu PG, Woda BA, Rock KL, Liu Q, Hsieh CC, Li CZ, Chen WG, Duan HO, MaDougal S, Wu CL. Analysis of RNA-binging protein IMP3 to predict metastasis and prognosis of renal-cell carcinoma: a retrospective study. 2006, The Lancet Oncology, 7:556-64 *Highlighted in Nature Clinical Practice Oncology 3(9): 469, 2006 and in NCI Cancer Bulletin, 3(28):4-5, 2006
• Sung MT, Jiang Z, MontironiR, MacLennanRT, ChengL. α-methylacyl-CoA racemase (P504S)/34βE12/p63 triple stain in prostatic adenocarcinoma following hormonal therapy. 2007, Human Pathol. 38:332-41
• Li CZ, Rock KL, Woda BA, Jiang Z, Fraire A, Dresser K. IMP3 is a novel biomarker for adenocarcinoma in situ of the uterine cervix: an immunohistochemical study in comparison with p16INK4a expression. 2007, Mod Pathol. 20: 242-47
• Jiang Z, Prognostic biomarkers in renal cell carcinoma. 2007, Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics. 7:293-307
• Zheng WX, YiXF, Fadare O, Liang SX, Martel M, Schwartz PE, Jiang Z.The oncofetal protein IMP3: A novel biomarker for endometrial serous carcinoma. 2008, Am J Surg Pathol, 32: 304-15
• Hoffmann NE, Sheinin Y, Lohse CM, Cheville JC, Parker AS, Leibovich BC, Jiang Z, Kwon ED. External validation of IMP3 expression as an independent prognostic marker for metastatic progression and death for patients with clear cell renal cell carcinoma, 2008, Cancer, 112:1471-79
• Sitnikova L, Mendese G, Liu Q, WodaBA, Di Lu, Dresser K, Mohanty S, Rock KL Jiang Z. The Oncofetal Protein IMP3: A novel molecular marker to predict aggressive superficial urothelial carcinoma of the bladder, 2008, Clinical Cancer Research, 14:1701-1706 *Highlighted in Nature Clinical Practice Oncology 5(7): 364, 2008 and in Nature Clinical Practice Urology 5: 355, 2008
• Song1 XC, Fu1 G, Yang XF, Jiang Z, Wang YJ, Zhou GW. Protein expression profiling of breast cancer cells by dissociable antibody microarray (DAMA) staining. 2008, Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, 7:163-69
• Coston WMP, Loera S, Lau SK, Ishizawa S, Jiang Z, Wu CL, Yen Y, Weiss LM, Chu PG. Distinction of hepatocellular carcinoma from benign hepatic mimickers using glypican-3 and CD34 immunohistochemistry. 2008, Am J Surg Pathol, 32(3):433-44
• Marks RA, Zhang S, Montironi R, McCarthy RP, MacLennan GT, Lopez-Beltran A, Jiang Z, Zhou H, Zheng S, Davidson DD, Baldridge LA, Cheng L: Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) expression in prostatic adenocarcinoma after hormonal therapy: A fluorescence in situ hybridization and immunohistochemical analysis. 2008, The Prostate, 68:919-23
• Jiang Z, Chu PG, Woda BA, Liu Q, Balaji KC, Rock KL, Chin-Lee Wu. Combination of quantitative IMP3 and tumor stage (QITS): A new system to predict metastasis for patients with localized renal cell carcinomas. 2008, Clinical Cancer Research, 14:5579-84
• Lu D, Vohra P, ChuPG, WodaB, Rock KL, Jiang Z. An Oncofetal Protein IMP3, A new molecular marker for the detection of esophageal adenocarcinoma and high grade dysplasia. 2009, Am J Surg Pathol, 33:521-5
• Zhang, X., Leav, I., Revelo, M.P., Deka, R., Medvedovic, M., Jiang, Z., and Ho, S. M. Deletion hotspots in AMACR promoter CpG island are cis-regulatory elements controlling the gene expression in the colon. 2009, PLoS Genetics. Epub Jan 16, 2009. PMID: 19148275
• Goel HL, Moro L, Murphy-Ullrich JE, Hsieh CC, Wu CL, Jiang Z and Languino LR β1 integrin cytoplasmic variants differentially regulate expression of the anti-angiogenic extracellular matrix protein thrombospondin 1, 2009, Cancer Research, 69:5374-82
• Chung L, Lau SK, Jiang Z, Loera S, Bedel V, Ji JL, Weiss LM, Chu PG. Overlapping histologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular features between dedifferentiated liposarcoma and undifferentiated high grade pleomorphic sarcoma. 2009, Am J Surg Pathol, 33:1594-600
• LeavI, PlesciaJ, Goel HL, Li J, Jiang Z, Cohen RJ, Languino LR, Altieri DC. Cytoprotective mitochondrial chaperone TRAP-1 as a novel molecular target in localized and metastatic prostate cancer. 2010, Am J Pathol, 176:393-401
• Altieri, D.C., Languino, L.R., Lian, J.B., Stein, J.L., Leav, I., van Wijnen, A.J., Jiang, Z. Stein, G.S Prostate Cancer Regulatory Networks. 2010, J. Cell. Biochem. [Epub ahead of print]
• Infection with viruses from several families triggers autoimmune diabetes in LEW.1WR1 rats: Prevention of diabetes by maternal immunization. Tirabassi, R.S., Blankenhorn, E.P., Woda, B.A., Winans, D., Mordes, J.P., Guberski, D.L., Leif, J.H., Liu, Z., Greiner, D.L. Diabetes 59:110-118, 2009.
• Chronic basophilic leukemia: a rare form of chronic myeloproliferative neoplasm. Tang,G., Woods, L.J., Wang, S.A., Brettler, D., Andersen, M., Miron, M., Pechet, L., Woda, B.A., Hao, S. Hum Pathol 40:1194-1199, 2009.
• Cell polarity protein Lgl2 is lost or aberrantly localized in gastric dysplasia and adenocarcinoma: an immunohistochemical study. Lisovsky, M., Dresser, K., Baker, S., FisherA, Woda, B., Banner, B., Lauwers, G.Y. Mod Pathol Mod Pathol 22:977-984, 2009.
• Otto Walter, Manju Prasad, Shaolei Lu, Robert Quinlan, Kathyryn Edmiston and Ashraf Khan. RNA Binding Protein IMP3 Is a Novel Biomarker for Triple Negative Invasive Mammary Carcinoma and Is Associated With a More Aggressive Phenotype. Hum Pathol. 2009;40(11):1528-33.
• Magdalena Slosar, Poonam Vohra, Manju Prasad, Andrew Fischer, Robert Quinlanand Ashraf Khan. IMP3 (Insulin-like Growth Factor mRNA Binding Protein 3) is Differentially Expressed in Benign and Malignant Follicular Patterned Thyroid Tumors. Endocr Pathol. 2009; 20:149-57
• Madhu P Menon, MD, PhD, Ashraf Khan, MD, FRCPath. Micro-RNAs in Thyroid Neoplasms: Molecular, Diagnostic and Therapeutic Implications J Clin Pathol. 2009;62:978-985
Director, Dr. Bruce Woda
Division of Anatomic Pathology
UMASS Memorial Medical Center
Three Biotech, One Innovation Drive
Worcester, MA 01605