Individual Opportunity Plan (IOP):
Step 1 — Setting Your Career Mission
The first step of the IOP is to define your career mission
Some questions that will help:
— the main direction of your professional career for the foreseeable future.
Identify your passions:
- How do you want to make a difference in medicine or science?
- When you look back on this time, what would make you most proud?
- What is your ideal job, division of time?
- What makes you energized?
- What do you like to do? Not like to do?
- What professional legacy do you want to leave?
Write your career mission on your IOP worksheet. (Download the IOP Worksheet)
Your Mission Statement needs to be BIG — Some examples:
“I want to ensure that my underserved patients get the best possible treatment.”
“I want to understand what causes Alzheimer’s Disease.”
Continue to Step 2 — Self-Assessment: Personal SWOT Analysis
IOP Navigation: IOP Worksheet | Overview | Step 2 | Step 3 |
Three Levels of Career Planning
Capture your mission statement succinctly.
Think of it as the slogan on your T-shirt.