NIH Career Development & Training Award Workshops
Joan Lakoski, PhD, University of Pittsburgh, Schools of the Health Sciences and
Robert Milner, PhD, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Office of Professional Development
Next workshop: October 2015
To provide guidance on applications for NIH career development (“K”)
and training (“F”) awards.
By the completion of these sessions, participants will be able to:
• Choose the appropriate type of career development or training for their career stage and situation
• Complete an application for a NIH career development or training award
• Submit an application using strategies for a successful grant proposal
Attend all sessions or only those sessions relevant to your needs.
Please register for each session you plan to attend.
General Workshop: Steps to a Competitive Application
The general session includes:
• Navigating NIH: an overview of NIH and the grant review process
• Mock Study Section: a demonstration of a study section panel by invited faculty
• 15 Steps to the Payline: a stepwise guide to preparing a successful application
Know Your Awards
Know Your NRSA (12:30–1:30pm)
A guide to applying for an individual pre- or postdoctoral training grant (F award)
Know Your K (1:30–2:30pm)
A guide to applying for a career development (K) award
Know Your Kangaroo (2:30-3:30pm)
A guide to applying for the Pathway to Independence (K99/R00) award
(including a panel of recent K99/R00 recipients)
If you do not have a umassmed.edu or umassmemorial.org email address, contact Kathleen.Rancourt@umassmed.edu and she will register you. Please indicate which sessions you plan to attend.