Criteria for Appointment and Promotion
on the Tenure Track
Academic positions on the tenure track are unmodified titles: i.e., Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor.
The tenure track emphasizes continued excellence in research & scholarly activity, excellence in a second area (education or service) and at least strength in the third area. Criteria for appointment to, or promotion on, the tenure track are defined for each rank in the Academic Personnel Policy, Article 7, and described below:
Appointment as, or promotion to, Assistant Professor on the tenure track requires evidence of completed formal training:
- Clinical faculty should be eligible for board certification.
Basic Science faculty should have completed 2 years postdoctoral research.
Nursing faculty should have 2 years experience teaching or equivalent.
Also requires evidence of prior experience at Entry level achievement in one or more of research and scholarly activity, education, or professional and academic service (for examples of activities at Entry level see Table 3 of the Academic Personnel Policy or download a checklist of activities). Also see Academic Personnel Policy Article 7.2 and Article 7.3.
Appointment as, or promotion to, Associate Professor on the tenure track requires:
- considerable academic or professional experience beyond the level required for the rank of Assistant Professor, including 6 years of service at the level of Assistant Professor or equivalent professional experience, and
- an increasing record of high quality peer-reviewed publications resulting from research/creative/scholarly activity, sufficient to have generated at least national recognition, and
- achievement at Established level in the area of Research/Scholarly activity and in a second area (Education or Professional/Academic Service) and at least Entry level achievement in the third area (for examples of activities at Established level see Table 5 of the Academic Personnel Policy or download a checklist of activities; also see Academic Personnel Policy Article 7.4 and Article 7.5).
| || |
Appointment as, or promotion to, Professor on the tenure track requires:
- 12 years of professional experience beyond the time when the faculty member would have qualified for an initial appointment at the Assistant Professor level, and
- evidence of Senior level achievement in research/scholarly activity and in at least one additional area (Education or Professional/Academic Service) and at least an Established level of achievement in the third area (for examples of activities at Senior level see Table 6 of the Academic Personnel Policy or download a checklist of activities; also see Academic Personnel Policy Article 7.6),and
- promise of continuing professional development and achievement.