NIH Career Development & Training Award Workshops
Joan Lakoski, PhD, University of Pittsburgh, Schools of the Health Sciences and
Robert Milner, PhD, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Office of Professional Development
Thursday, October 30, 2014 | Albert Sherman Center Cube AS3-2119
To provide guidance on applications for NIH career development (“K”)
and training (“F”) awards.
By the completion of these sessions, participants will be able to:
• Choose the appropriate type of career development or training for their career stage and situation
• Complete an application for a NIH career development or training award
• Submit an application using strategies for a successful grant proposal
Attend all sessions or only those sessions relevant to your needs.
Please register for each session you plan to attend.
General Workshop: Steps to a Competitive Application
(9:30–11:30 am) Please register
The general session includes:
• Navigating NIH: an overview of NIH and the grant review process
• Mock Study Section: a demonstration of a study section panel by invited faculty
• 15 Steps to the Payline: a stepwise guide to preparing a successful application
Know Your Awards
Know Your NRSA (12:30–1:30pm) Please register
A guide to applying for an individual pre- or postdoctoral training grant (F award)
Know Your K (1:30–2:30pm) Please register
A guide to applying for a career development (K) award
Know Your Kangaroo (2:30-3:30pm) Please register
A guide to applying for the Pathway to Independence (K99/R00) award
(including a panel of recent K99/R00 recipients)
If you do not have a umassmed.edu or umassmemorial.org email address, contact Kathleen.Rancourt@umassmed.edu and she will register you. Please indicate which sessions you plan to attend.