Onboarding Mentor Program
The goal of this program is to provide new faculty with immediate guidance to the department and institution by matching each individual with a more experienced faculty member. The Onboarding Mentor will help new faculty quickly become oriented and connected so that they may thrive in their new academic home. The mentor is expected to:
- orient the new faculty member to the department and institution
- introduce the new faculty member to colleagues inside and outside the department at faculty meetings and other events
- answer questions—“Where is it?” or “How do I . . .?”—or direct to appropriate resources
For more information, download a description of the UMMS Onboarding Mentor Program.
Selecting the Onboarding Mentor
The Onboarding Mentor for each new faculty member is selected by the Chair (or Division Chief in larger departments). When considering the appropriate on-boarding mentor for a particular new faculty member, Chairs and Division Chiefs might review the individual interests, family needs, and the opportunities for frequent interactions during the work day (for example, a more senior faculty member working in the same clinical location would be appropriate for a new clinician). Ideally, the Onboarding Mentor should also be:
- a good communicator
- an individual who has successfully navigated the system
- familiar with departmental and institutional resources
Chairs and Division Chiefs should forward the names of the Onboarding Mentors and their new faculty mentees to the Office of Faculty Affairs.