2 tbs. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
2-3 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 large zucchini, quartered
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, soaked, de-stemmed, and chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large (16-32 oz) can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 (12 oz) can chickpeas, pinto beans, or kidney beans (your preference)
1/3 –1/2 lb. whole-wheat macaroni or 1-2 cups cooked brown rice
2 cups kale or Swiss chard, chopped into very small pieces
Salt to taste
4-5 cups water
A variety of dried herbs to taste:
Oregano, Parsley, Marjoram
Basil, Rosemary, Bay leaf, Thyme
1. Heat olive oil in large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic until translucent.
2. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft. Add zucchini, carrots, beans, and ½ -1 tsp. of each of the herbs. Continue to sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add water to vegetable mixture to whatever consistency you desire for a soup (use less water for a “stew”-like consistency; add more water for a thinner soup.
4. Add a can of chopped tomatoes to soup and bring to boil.
5. Reduce heat and taste. Add more salt and herbs until the taste suits you.
6. Just before serving mix in greens and whole-wheat macaroni or cooked brown rice (whichever you prefer). Return to boil and cook until pasta is al dente, or rice is thoroughly heated. Greens should be bright green (not brown or pea-green).
Serve with salad and thick pieces of whole grain bread~
Per 2 cup serving (573g): 263 Calories, 6.7g fat, 1g sat fat, 45g carbohydrate, 10.2g protein, 8.7g fiber, 4.1mg iron, 173mg sodium