- About Us
- Healthy Eating
- Nutrition Research
- Programs and Services
- Healthy Recipes
- Mindful Eating
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1.5lbs tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped OR 1(28oz.) can diced tomatoes,
2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
1 medium red pepper, seeded and roughly chopped (about 1.5 cups)
½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1.5 cups tomato puree (low sodium)
1 cup tomato juice (low sodium)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1. Place half the onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, pepper, and cilantro in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade; pulse to chop coarsely.
2. Remove the chopped vegetables and set aside.
3. Repeat with the second half of these vegetables.
4. Combine the vegetables with the olive oil, tomato puree, tomato juice, lemon juice, and salt and pepper in a large container.
5. Blend in the balsamic vinegar.
6. Refrigerate for at least four hours, but preferably overnight.
Per serving (243g): 120 Calories, 7.1g fat, 1g sat fat, 13g carbohydrate, 2.1g protein, 2.7g fiber, 90mg sodium (if low-sodium ingredients are used)