- About Us
- Healthy Eating
- Nutrition Research
- Programs and Services
- Healthy Recipes
- Mindful Eating
Serves 8 to 10
1 T Olive oil
2 to 3 pounds Butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1 inch chunks
3 Large Carrots, chopped
1 Medium Onion, chopped
1 T Ginger, minced
2 Quarts Vegetable stock or cold water
1/8 cup Grated orange zest
1 Bunch Parsley, chopped
Pinch Ground nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large sauce pot.
2. Sautee the squash, carrots, onion and ginger for 3 minutes, until lightly browned
3. Add stock and orange zest and bring to a boil.
4. Lower to simmer and cook UNCOVERED for 35 to 40 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
5. Add the parsley, nutmeg and salt and pepper.
6. Puree the soup with a handheld immersion blender or in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
7. Serve with a dollop of plain fat free yogurt, optional.
Recipes revised from: The Whole Foods Market Cookbook
Per serving (435g): 107 Calories, 2g fat, 0.3g sat fat, 23g carbohydrate, 2g protein, 3.6g fiber, 247mg sodium.
Note: This recipe is a good source beta carotene