Kale Banana Date Smoothie
- 3 large ice cubes
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk, cold
- 2 packed cups torn, stemmed kale leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped pitted dates (about 2 large)
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen
- Place the ice in the blender and pulse to crush.
- Add the almond milk, kale, and lemon juice; pulse to begin breaking up the greens and then blend, at first on medium and gradually adjusting to high, to liquefy the solids, 20 seconds to 1 minute, depending on your blender.
- Add the dates and banana, and blend until the mixture is uniform, thick, and moves easily in the blender jar, about 45 seconds, and serve.
Adapted from The Boston Globe Magazine, January 5, 2014