½ tbs. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
3 cups water
1 cup soy milk
4 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes
1 bunch of greens (spinach, kale, swiss chard, collards, etc.), chopped
½ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. cayenne
¼ cup rolled oats
¼ cup white miso
1 cup cooked wild rice
¼ cup chopped parsley for garnish
1. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onion, and garlic.
2. Stir, cover with a lid that fits directly over the onions and sweat the onions until soft and transparent.
3. Remove lid and continue to cook until onions start to turn brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a large saucepan combine water, soy milk, sweet potatoes, nutmeg, cayenne, and oats.
5. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and cook on medium until sweet potatoes are very tender.
6. Remove from heat and puree in a blender, two cups at a time, until mixture is smooth and creamy.
7. Puree in miso. Return to saucepan. If soup is too thick, add more water.
8. Stir in wild rice, and greens, and heat gently for a few minutes. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Per serving: 351 Calories, 5g fat, 0.8g sat fat, 67.7g carbohydrate, 12.5g protein, 10.5g fiber.
Note: Good source of beta carotene