This is a wonderful recipe which incorporates all the components of a healthful meal: it’s high in fiber, rich in whole grains, beans, tofu, and greens. It’s also low in fat and high in flavor!
3 cups water 4 plum tomatoes, diced
1 cup lentils 1 (16 oz) can white beans, washed and drained
½ cup barley
2 tbs olive oil 1 (16 oz) can kidney beans, washed and drained
3 cloves garlic, minced 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
1 large onion, chopped ½ tsp salt (optional)
2 tbs. fresh thyme ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped Hot sauce to taste
3 (16 oz.) cans low-salt veggie broth
8 oz tofu, cubed
1. In medium saucepan, heat water, lentils and barley to boiling. Reduce to simmer and cook until water is largely reduced and lentil/barley mixture is tender.
2. In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté garlic and onion until tender. Add tofu and pan fry until lightly browned.
3. Add thyme and tomatoes, and sauté a couple of minutes longer.
4. Add broth, beans, and salt. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow to cook until much of the fluid is reduced and it resembles a stew.
5. Add spinach and mix until tender.
6. Flavor with pepper and hot sauce.
Nutrients per serving:
277 calories 6 g total fat 0.9 g saturated fat 42 g carbohydrate
142 mg sodium 13 g total dietary fiber 3.4 g soluble fiber