- About Us
- Healthy Eating
- Nutrition Research
- Programs and Services
- Healthy Recipes
- Mindful Eating
1 large bunch kale
2 large bunches spinach
1 small can chickpeas (drained and rinsed to remove salt)
7-10 large cloves garlic, minced
2 cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
¼ cup olive oil
½ -1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 lb whole wheat pasta
Salt, to taste
1. Immerse greens in sink of warm water. Swish them around to loosen any dirt particles. Remove stems. Without shaking off excess water, place greens in large pot. Sprinkle with salt. Add only enough water to prevent them from boiling dry. Cover and bring to a boil.
2. Once water is boiling, reduce heat and cook uncovered until greens are just wilted. Place leaves in strainer and let cool.
3. Add oil to large saucepan and heat on low to med-low. Add chickpeas and tomatoes, and heat for 5 minutes.
4. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and heat for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, collect handfuls of drained greens and thinly slice. Add to pan. Salt to taste and heat for another 10 minutes.
Serve on top of your favorite pasta. Try whole wheat for a new and healthy twist!
Makes 6 servings
506 calories, 12.5g fat, 1.7g sat fat, 85g carbohydrate, 21g protein, 13g fiber, 6.4mg iron, 167mg sodium