- About Us
- Cooking Possibility
- Healthy Eating
- Nutrition Research
- Programs and Services
- Healthy Recipes
- Mindful Eating
Adapted from Vegetable Heaven by Mollie Katzen
A little olive oil
2 medium onions, cut into 1 inch chunks
½ pound baby carrots
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 medium garlic bulb
1 can diced tomatoes
4 large red, yellow or orange peppers
1 cinnamon stick
1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can 15 oz, rinsed and drained)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375º
1. Line two large baking trays with foil, brush with olive oil.
2. Scatter onions and carrots onto one tray, drizzle with oil and sprinkle cumin, mustard seeds and pinch of salt. Place bulb of garlic in corner of tray. Place on bottom rack of oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
3. Arrange peppers on other tray and place on upper rack. Bake for ~45 minutes turning every 10 minutes so they blister evenly. Transfer to large bowl and cover for 30 minutes. Place cinnamon stick in bowl.
4. Carefully lift the peppers, leaving as much of their liquid in the bowl as possible. Remove their skins, seeds and stems. Cut peppers into strips and return to the bowl. Remove cinnamon stick.
5. Add can of tomatoes. Squeeze out roasted garlic & add to bowl.
6. Add carrots, onions, chickpeas and add to taste lemon and black pepper.
7. Cover bowl and heat stew at 350º for about 30 minutes.
8. Serve hot over unhulled barley and garnish with minced parsley and wedges of lemon.
Makes 4 servings.
273 calories, 7g fat, 0.8g sat fat, 45g carbohydrate, 10g protein, 11g fiber, 117mg calcium , 4.3mg iron, 238mg vitamin C, 438mg sodium