- About Us
- Healthy Eating
- Nutrition Research
- Programs and Services
- Healthy Recipes
- Mindful Eating
1 very large onion, sliced into rounds ¼ “-thick
1 ¼ cups green or brown lentils, sorted and rinsed
¾ cup brown long-grain rice, dry
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until it’s a rich, dark brown, about 12 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, put the lentil in a saucepan with 1 quart of water and 1 tsp. sea salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add rice and additional water to cover if needed. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is done, about 15 minutes.
4. Stir in half the onions, then cover and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes.
5. Spoon the lentil-rice mixture onto plates and cover with the remaining onion.
395 calories, 8.4g fat, 1.2g sat fat, 63g carbohydrate, 18g protein, 13.5g fiber, 52mg calcium, 6mg iron, 303mg sodium