- About Us
- Healthy Eating
- Nutrition Research
- Programs and Services
- Healthy Recipes
- Mindful Eating
1 cup pureed silken tofu
1 cup maple syrup or honey
¾ cup brewed espresso or strong coffee
2 tbs. rum
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ cup ice water
1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour ( or ¾ cup white flour and ½ cup whole wheat flour)
1 cup cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. cinnamon
Chocolate curls for garnish (optional)
¼ cup maple syrup, honey, or barley malt syrup
¼ cup brewed strong coffee or espresso
3 tbs. rum, preferably dark
Chocolate Rum Frosting
10 ½ oz. silken tofu
1 tsp. rum, preferably dark
6 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350’F. Oil and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
2. In large mixing bowl, whisk together tofu, syrup or honey, coffee, rum, vanilla, and water until smooth.
3. In separate bowl, sift together remaining dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Divide batter into cake pans. Bake until cakes are springy to the touch, about 15 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Syrup: Heat all ingredients together in small sauce pan. Brush mixture on top of cake layers with pastry brush.
4. Frosting: In blender/ food processor, combine all ingredients; process until smooth.
5. Place 1 cake layer on plate. Spread with ½ frosting. Top with second layer. Spread top and sides with rest of frosting.
Per serving: 262 calories; 6 g protein; 5 g total fat (3 g saturated fat); 45 g carbohydrate; 0 mg cholesterol; 185 mg sodium; 4 g fiber