Tornado disaster assistance available to employees

By Kristen O’Reilly

UMass Medical School Communications

June 09, 2011

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is offering tornado-related assistance to UMass Medical School employees, whether they suffered physical losses or are enduring mental stress from living through and cleaning up from the devastating storms of June 1.

Tom Hopkins, LICSW, director of the EAP, said his office has received a few requests for help from employees as they deal with the aftermath of the storms. 

“Our employees affected by last week’s tornadoes experienced loss of power, damage to property, financial crisis and reactions to stress,” said Hopkins. “We have researched resources for victims of the tornadoes, especially in the area of basic services such as food and housing, and are ready to help.” 

If you are an employee affected by the tornadoes, call the EAP at 1-800-322-5327 to request assistance. 

Related link: 

UMMS stands with city officials to support tornado victims 


Partial list of resources: 

Resources list compiled by EAP. Contact the office for a complete list. 

Storm assistance centers 

The Centers are open daily 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., including Saturday and Sunday, until further notice. 

Department of Transitional Assistance Office 
95 Liberty Street, Springfield 
(413) 858-1000 

Department of Developmental Service Central/West Regional Office 
171 State Avenue, Monson/Palmer Line 
(413) 283-3411 

Department of Transitional Assistance Office 
1 North Street, Southbridge 
(508) 765-2400 

MassMutual Center 
1277 Main Street, Springfield 
Storm aftermath housing shelter (as of June 5) 

Red Cross 
Pioneer Valley: (413) 442-1506 
Central MA Chapter: (508) 595-3700 
Providing meals, comfort kits, and emotional support 

The Food Bank of Western MA 
(413) 247-9738 or (800) 247-9632 
Delivering emergency food for tornado victims in the Springfield area 

The Monson Development Center 
175 State Ave, Palmer 
(413) 283-3411 
Offering clothing and laundry service to those in need 

The Salvation Army of Springfield 
(339) 502 5900 
Providing clothing and household items 

MA Division of Insurance 
(617) 521-7777 
Help in filing a claim for your home 

Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) 
(877)-872-5627 (TTY 1-877-889-5627) 
DUA provides unemployment benefits to individuals who have become unemployed as a result of a presidentially declared major disaster. Self-employed persons who cannot work as a result of the disaster can also apply for benefits. 

The United Way Damage/Claim Reporting 
The United Way is providing assistance with damage claims. Please call 2-1-1. 

IRS Disaster Relief 
The IRS may allow deduction of disaster-related losses from the prior year’s tax return. Filing an amended return may result in an immediate tax refund. For more information, visit or speak to a tax professional. 

Disaster Legal Services 
(800) 621-3362 (TTY 1-800-462-7585) 
Provides legal assistance to low-income individuals who, prior to or as a result of a disaster, are unable to secure legal services. Local lawyers typically provide assistance such as: help with insurance claims for doctor and hospital bills, loss of property, loss of life, etc.; drawing up new wills, powers of attorney and other legal documents lost during the disaster; help with home repair contracts and contractors; and advice on problems with landlords. 

Assistance for Pets 
Worcester Animal Rescue League 
139 Holden Street Worcester, MA 01606 
(508) 853-0030 

Dakin Pioneer Valley Humane Society 
171 Union St. 
Springfield, MA Email: 
(413) 781-4000