Please check this page periodically for information about the latest news, and upcoming events, courses or other information relevant to the UMMS international community.
Executive Orders Impacting Immigration:
Executive Orders impacting immigration were issued by the President of the United States on January 25th and 27th 2017. A revised Executive Order was signed by the President on March 6, 2017 however, certain portions of it were halted by a preliminary injunction on March 29, 2017. The Immigration Services Office (ISO) will continue to send information through our distribution lists as additional information is made available. Please contact the ISO with any specific questions.
Below are the latest communications about the Executive Order impacting Immigration:
- 4.3.2017 UMMS-ISO Current Travel and Visa Guidance
- 3.23.2017 Tougher Screening of Visa Applicants - The New York Times
- 3.22.2017 Department of State Announcement Regarding Executive order on Visas
- 3.21.2017 New Electronic Device Restrictions on Certain U.S. Bound Flights
- 3.7.2017 Campus Update on Executive Order
- 3.6.2017 Revised Executive Order by President Donald Trump
- 3.6.2017 Q&A on Revised Executive Order
- 2.10.2017 Executive Order Update
- 2.7.2017 Letter from Chancellor Michael F. Collins, MD
- 2.6.2017 Chancellor Collins article in STAT
- 2.6.2017 Letter from UMass Medical School Immigration Department
- 2.4.2017 Letter from Chancellor Michael F. Collins, MD
- 1.27.2017 Executive Order by President Donald Trump
Guidance for Foreign Nationals while in the United States
- Reminder of your immigration obligations - carrying documents with you
- Resources on Your Rights in Encounters with Law Enforcement
- Know Your Rights: What To Do if Stopped by Police, Immigration Agents, or the FBI
- Know Your Rights: What To Do When Encountering Law Enforcement at Airports and Other Ports of Entry
- Border Agent Search of Electronic Devices
- Information on how the Customs and Border Protection Agency is interpreting and implementing the order can be found on their website.
- Another excellent resource regarding this event can be found at NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- Additional Legal Resources for Immigration
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - Know Your Rights
STEM OPT Ruling
Upcoming Workshops & Events:
SPRING IMMIGRATION WORKSHOP - U.S. IMMIGRATION OPTIONS FOR THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY (With a Discussion About the Executive Orders and New Trends)
The Immigration Services Office is happy to announce that attorneys from the law firm of Iandoli, Desai, & Cronin P.S. will be hosting a spring immigration workshop for the medical community to include a discussion on executive orders and new trends.
Date: Monday, April 10th, 2017
Location: Medical School, Faculty Conference Room (S1-342)
Additional details to be announced. This event is open to the entire UMMS community. No RSVP required.
OPTIONAL PRACTICAL TRAINING (OPT)
These workshops are designed for GSBS Students on the F-1 visa. If you are within the final year of your GSBS program, and are considering working in the U.S. following graduation, this workshop is for you! We encourage participants to review the OPT Website prior to attending the workshop. Below is a list of the scheduled OPT workshops for 2017. All workshops are located in the Michelson Room of the Lazar Research Building (LRB)
- March 31, 2017 3:00pm
For information about events outside of the UMMS Community