Inviting Family Members to the United States
Most non-immigrant visa statuses allow spouses and children (under 21) to accompany you to the U.S. or to come and join you here at a later date. Instructions for other relatives and friends are available.
We recommend that you send the following information to your dependents prior to their appointment at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate:
- Copy of Form I-94 form and other current immigration documents of student/employee (Ie. Form I-797, Form DS-2019, Form I-20)
- Proof of relationship (copy of marriage / birth certificate)
Proof of your affiliation with UMMS and financial ability to support dependents while in the U.S.
- Employment verification letter – this can be obtained at the HR front desk if you are on a paid UMMS appointment.
- If you are not receiving funding from UMMS, please have your Department Administrator or PI write a letter to verify your affiliation and also provide information about your funding source (funding award letter, bank statement, etc.)
- Confirmation of student status - this can be obtained from the Registrar's Office
In addition to the documents recommended above, dependents of students and employees holding F-1 or J-1 status must have their own Form I-20 (F-2) or Form DS-2019 issued by Immigration Services. To request the required immigration forms for your dependents, please complete the family data sheet and submit it to Immigration Services.