Inviting Family Members to the United States

Most non-immigrant visa statuses allow spouses and children (under 21) to accompany you to the U.S. or to come and join you here at a later date.  Instructions for other relatives and friends are available.

Recommended Documents - Dependents of individuals in F-1 or J-1 status

Recommended Documents

We recommend that you send the following information to your dependents prior to their appointment at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate:

  • Copy of Form I-94 form and other current immigration documents of student/employee (Ie. Form I-797, Form DS-2019, Form I-20)
  • Proof of relationship (copy of marriage / birth certificate)

Proof of your affiliation with UMMS and financial ability to support dependents while in the U.S.

  • Employment verification letter – this can be obtained at the HR front desk if you are on a paid UMMS appointment.
  • If you are not receiving funding from UMMS, please have your Department Administrator or PI write a letter to verify your affiliation and also provide information about your funding source (funding award letter, bank statement, etc.)
  • Confirmation of student status - this can be obtained from the Registrar's Office

Dependents of individuals in F-1 and J-1 status

In addition to the documents recommended above, dependents of students and employees holding F-1 or J-1 status must have their own Form I-20 (F-2) or Form DS-2019 issued by Immigration Services. To request the required immigration forms for your dependents, please complete the family data sheet and submit it to Immigration Services.

Family Data Sheet

back to top