Skip to content
Skip to main navigation
Skip to search
Grants and Funding: Region Specific
US-EU Funding Opportunities
Marie Curie Actions
provide support to hundreds of researchers a year throughout Europe. Examples include:
International Incoming Fellowships
- to fund researchers from outside Europe to work on a research project at a European research institution.
International Outgoing Fellowships
- to fund European researchers to do work in a non-European country for up to 3 years.
International Research staf Exchange Scheme
- funds research proposals that include two independent participants from 2 different European countries and an organization from a non-EU country.
European Molecular Biology Organization
- provides a variaty of fellowships and grants such as:
EMBO Young Investigator Programme
- provides 1 to 4 years support for newly independent investigator in a member state of the European Molecular Biology Conference.
EMBO Long-Term Fellowships
- provides up to 2 years of suport for a postdoc that involves mobility between countries, one of which must be an EMBC member state.
EMBO Short-Term Fellowships
- provides up to 3 months of visits that involve exchanges between a minimum of two laboratories in different countries.
EMBO Molecular Medicine Sabbaticals
- provides clinicians funding to do research sabbaticals in basic science laboratories. Awardees must carry out their sabbatical in an EMBC member state that is not their own, if they are from Europe).
European Cooperation in Science and Technology
funds researchers throughout Europe to build research networks for greater coordination of nationally funded research across Europe.
The Science for Peace and Security Program
of the NATO funds scientific collaboration across NATO countries in topics of defense against terrorism, biological agents, food security, medical countermeasures, environmental security water resources management, etc.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
offers a 5-year grant through the
International Research Scholars Program
to scientists working in the Baltics, Central and Eastern Europe, Russia and Ukraine.
The NIH Fogarty International Center offers several grant programs:
Global Research Initiative Program for New Foreign Investigators
which promotes reentry of NIH-trained foreign investigators into their home countries
Fogarty International Research Collaboration Award (FIRCA)
- provides funds to foster international research partnerships between NIH-supported scientiests and their collaborators in countries of the developing world.
Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP)
Career Development Award
- funds HFSP fellows who return to their home country or move to an HFSP member country to establish their independent laboratory.
Civilian Research and Development Foundation
- supports international collaboration between US and Eurasian research teams in basic and applied natural sciences and the development of new research and education centers in those countries.
Burroughs Wellcome Fund
Biomedical Sciences Collaborative Research Travel Grants
- provides support for researchers from degree granting institutions to travel domestically or internationally to a laboratory to acquire new research technique or facilitate a collaboration.
American Cancer Society
International Fellowships for Beginning Investigators
- fosters bi-directional flow of research knowledge, experience, expertise and innovation between countries and to advance academic career development of beginning cancer investigators through clinical, behavioral and basic research projects.
Hungarian country specific opportunities
National Office for Research and Technology (NKTH)
Hungarian Scientific Research Fund (OTKA)
have call for proposal to fund international mobility with the aim to support the careers of young Hungarian researchers.
- provides study / research/ scholar-in-residence grants for
US-Indo Funding Opportunities
ASM Indo-US Professorships in Microbiology: Opportunities for microbiologists in India and the United states to visit institutions in the other country to teach or participate in an interactive short course on a topic in any of the microbiology disciplines, or conduct a research project in partnership.
Annual applications deadlines April 15 and October 15. (
Benjamin H. Kean Travel Fellowship in Tropical Medicine
American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene Awards
American Pediatric Association Young Investigator Award
: PI Must bet APA member
Partnership for Enhanced Engagement in Research (PEER) Science award
Indo-US Knowledge R&D Networked Joint Centers
: between 2 US institutions and 2 Indian institutions to create joint centers of research
Gates Grand Challenges and Gates Grants
HMRI and Piramal Foundation
Fogarty International Research Collaboration Award (FIRCA)
- provides funds to foster international research partnerships between NIH-supported scientiests and their collaborators in countries of the developing world
Fogarty International Implementation, Clinical Operation and Health Services Research Training Award for AIDS and Tuberculosis
Forgarty HIV Research Training Program
Fulbright Fogarty Fellows and Scholars in Public Health
Fogarty Global Health Program for Fellows and Scholars
India Information Grants and Resources from Fogarty
NIH Indo-US Vaccine Action Program (R03)
NIH Indo-US Collaborative Program in low-cost medical devices
Upcoming Global Health Events
12/20/2013 LOI deadline for UMCCTS Office of Global Health Pilot Project Program (OGH-PPP)
NEW! Call for Applicants - UMMS Pediatric Global Health Fellowship Program, starting July 2014
55 Lake Ave N, S1-710
Worcester, MA 01655
Email this page
office of communications
This is an
Page of the University of Massachusetts Worcester Campus
Office of Communications
55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester, Massachusetts 01655
Questions or Comments?
Menu "Global Health Home" Begins - Skip Menu
Global Health Home
About OGH and Global Health Events
Calendar of Events
Global Health Advisory Board
Partners and Affiliates
International Travel Registration
AIG Travel Insurance (external)
Garber Travel (external)
OGH Travel Policy
OGH Special Travel Policy
Travel Alerts and Warnings (external)
Other Travel Resources
Forms and Policies
Foreign Project and MOU Home
Dean's Global Health Memo
Foreign Project Registration
Foreign Project Database
Foreign Project Map
Foreign Project Policy
Foreign Project Registration Process
Memoranda of Understanding and Letters of Collaboration
MOU and LOC Policy
Global Health Projects, Grants & Funding
Grants & Funding
OGH and Other UMMS Global Health Funding Opportunities
External Funding Opportunities
Region Specific Funding Opportunities
Global Health Spotlight
Students and Trainees
Establishing New Student Elective Sites
Student Test Sites and Legacy Sites
Global Health Scholars
Menu "Global Health Home" Ends
Search the UMass Site
Search All UMMS