The Friends of the Worcester Senior Center honored Walter Ettinger, MD, UMass Memorial Medical Center president and professor of medicine, with its Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2009 Awards and Networking Social, for his work in geriatrics and his community involvement.
Jean Frazier, MD, the Robert M. and Shirley S. Siff Chair in Autism and professor of psychiatry and pediatrics, is a member of the Neural Basis of Psychopathology, Addictions and Sleep Disorders Study Section, Center for Scientific Review. Members are chosen for their demonstrated competence and achievement in their scientific discipline.
W. Peter Metz, MD, clinical professor of psychiatry and pediatrics, received the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry’s 2009 Norbert and Charlotte Rieger Service Program Award for Excellence, for his work with UMass Medical School’s Communities of Care Program, which advocates for an integrated system of care for families by providing comprehensive mental health and support services.
Following are faculty who have joined UMMS as professors or associate professors or who have been promoted to those ranks, as reported by the Office of Faculty Affairs:
- John Landers, PhD, appointed associate professor of neurology
- Ann Moormann, PhD, MPH, appointed associate professor of pediatrics and quantitative health sciences
- Mustafa Akyurek, MD, promoted to associate professor of surgery
- Sharon Cantor, PhD, promoted to associate professor of cancer biology
- Julie Jonassen, PhD, promoted to professor of physiology
- Nicholas Rhind, PhD, promoted to associate professor of biochemistry and molecular pharmacology
- Hugh Silk, MD, promoted to clinical associate professor of family medicine and community health
- Joel Weiner, MD, promoted to clinical associate professor of pediatrics