Betsy Groves, director of financial aid, was appointed to the National Committee of Student Financial Assistance of the Association of American Medical Colleges. The appointment reflects the esteem of her colleagues and their respect for her leadership abilities.
Robert Phillips, MD, professor of medicine, director of the Heart and Vascular Center of Excellence and senior vice president of the UMass Memorial Medical Center, was named senior editor of the Journal of Clinical Hypertension, chosen for his continued support of the peer-reviewed, monthly publication that provides objective information and practical recommendations on treatment of hypertension.
Hugh Silk, MD, assistant professor of family medicine & community health, was appointed one of six members of a new American Dental Association Public Health Advisory Committee, which coordinates efforts between public health and organized dentistry at local, state and national levels to evolve the dental workforce and have a unified approach to health care reform for dentistry.
As a result of the efforts of the UMass Memorial Medical Center organ donation team in increasing the number of organs available for transplant, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services awarded UMass Memorial and 29 other U.S. hospitals their Gold Medal, which means that the Medical Center reached or exceeded goals for improving donation rates, increasing the number of organs donated per individual donor to 3.75 or higher and expanding clinical processes for recovering organs.
The following School of Medicine class of 2010 students were recently elected to Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA, an honor signifying a lasting commitment to scholarship, leadership, professionalism and service: Daniel Barker, Katharine Barnes, Lauren Busekroos, Katherine Cembrola, Erik Domingues, Parag Goyal, Laura Hagopian, Lydia Helliwell, Maurice (Frankie) Joyce, Teri Kleinberg, Alexis Lawrence, Andrew Leone, David Miller, Julia Randall, Meghan Shea and Kyle Wood.
Following are faculty who have joined UMMS as professors or associate professors or who have been promoted to those ranks, as reported by the Office of Faculty Affairs:
- Ken Freedman, MD, appointed adjunct clinical associate professor of psychiatry
- Geoffrey Graeber, MD, appointed professor of surgery
- David Harlan, MD, appointed professor of medicine
- Thomas Houston II, MD, MPH, appointed professor of quantitative health sciences and medicine
- Brent Max Jones, PhD, appointed research associate professor of psychiatry
- David Kalman, PhD, appointed associate professor of psychiatry
- Shaoguang Li, MD, PhD, appointed associate professor of medicine
- Dionyssios Robotis, MD, PhD, promoted to clinical associate professor of medicine
- Shixia Wang, DVM, PhD, promoted to research associate professor of medicine