- Judith K. Ockene, PhD, the Barbara Helen Smith Chair in Preventive & Behavioral Medicine and professor of medicine: National Cancer Institute, RCT for Smoking Cessation in 10 Medical Schools, one year, $882,026; recommended for four more years, $3 million
- Nicholas R. Rhind, PhD, assistant professor of biochemistry & molecular pharmacology and cell biology: National Institute of General Medical Sciences, The Role of MRN in the S-Phase DNA Damage Checkpoint, one year, $137,786*
- Fumihiko Urano, MD, associate professor of molecular medicine: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress and Diabetes, six months, $19,024*
- Scott Waddell, PhD, associate professor of neurobiology: National Institute of Mental Health, Mechanisms of Memory Consolidation, one year, $410,000; recommended for four more years, $1.6 million
- Motojiro Yoshihara, PhD, assistant professor of neurobiology, National Institute of Mental Health, Molecular Mechanism of Synaptic Plasticity, one year, $382,480; recommended for four more years, $1.6 million
*These NIH funds were awarded under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009. Multiple funding options exist under the ARRA, including accelerating ongoing science by supplementing existing grants and funding new grants that are likely to produce results within two years. For additional information about NIH ARRA funding, visit grants.nih.gov/recovery.