Glimpses of the 36th Annual UMMS
Commencement Exercises June 7, 2009
- The 36th UMass Worcester Commencement was held on campus for the first time in the school’s history. The tent was set for about 3,000 guests, which allowed graduates to invite more of their family and friends.
- Graduates, faculty and members of the speaking party “robed” in the LRB and then processed across campus to the tent.
- School of Medicine graduate Helen Moreira waves to the crowd gathered on the Campus Green.
- Chancellor Michael Collins presided over the ceremony, presenting 96 doctor of medicine degrees; 46 doctor of philosophy degrees; three MD/PhDs; and, in nursing, 53 master of science degrees and six PhDs.
- Ruth Lubic, CNM, EdD, a birthing center pioneer and women’s health advocate, received an honorary degree. She is pictured here with Dean Terry Flotte.
- Honorary degree recipient John Howe III, MD, is hooded by Dean Flotte and Chancellor Collins.
- In his keynote address, Benjamin Carson, MD, urged the graduates to care deeply and personally for their patients, despite the pain it could cause them.
- GSN graduate Heather Bochan is hooded by Jill Terrien, PhD, (left) and Kathleen Miller, PhD, (right).
- Graduate School of Nursing class speaker Sean Thomas Collins, PhD.
- GSBS class speaker Nicholas Willis, PhD, with GSBS Dean Tony Carruthers
- School of Medicine class speaker Amy Funkenstein, MD
- The newly minted doctors read the Oath of Maimonides.
- Senior Associate Dean for Educational Affairs Michele Pugnaire, followed by GSN Dean Paulette Seymour-Route and GSBS Dean Tony Carruthers, exiting the tent after the ceremony.
- Graduates and their guests enjoyed a party on campus the night before Commencement. Musical entertainment was provided by the student band Vertical Transmission and included cameo performances by several medical students.