- Richard V. Aghababian, MD, professor of emergency medicine, was reelected as secretarytreasurer of the Massachusetts Medical Society (MMS) and Lynda M. Young, MD, clinical professor of pediatrics and UMass Memorial chief of community pediatrics, was elected vice president. MMS is the statewide professional association for physicians and medical students. It is the oldest such organization in the country.
- Marianne E. Felice, MD, chair and professor of pediatrics and physician-in-chief of the UMass Memorial Children’s Medical Center, was chosen as a 2009 Carlow Laureate. The award recognizes distinguished alumni of Carlow University in Pittsburgh for exceptional professional achievement and outstanding leadership who reflect the university’s ideals and academic traditions.
- The American Thoracic Society and the Francis Family Foundation have awarded Christian Mueller, PhD, research assistant professor of pediatrics, a Parker B. Francis Fellowship, a three-year faculty development award for pulmonary research.
- Robert A. Phillips, MD, PhD, professor of medicine, has accepted the newly created position of Web editor for online features at the Archives of Internal Medicine.
Recent GSBS grad Sonya Fonseca, PhD, has been awarded a Presidential Post-doctoral Fellowship at the Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research in Cambridge. The prestigious program, where fellows design their own research plans, provides a unique opportunity for career flexibility in industry and academia.
Following are faculty who have joined UMMS as professors or associate professors or who have been promoted to those ranks, as reported by the Office of Faculty Affairs:
- Adel Bozorgzadeh, MD, appointed professor of surgery
- Eric Dickson, MD, appointed professor of emergency medicine
- Andrew Milsten, MD, appointed associate professor of emergency medicine
- Melissa A. Fischer, MD, MEd, promoted to associate professor of medicine
- Michele P. Pugnaire, MD, promoted to professor of family medicine & community health