- Celia A. Schiffer, PhD, professor of biochemistry & molecular pharmacology: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Drug Resistance in HCV-NS3/4A – Inhibitor binding versus substrate recognition, one year, $411,042; recommended for four more years, $1.6 million
- William J. Schwartz, MD, professor of neurology: National Institute of General Medical Sciences, Circadian Bilolgy at the Supra-Organismal Level, one year, $390,293; recommonded for three more years, $1.2 million
- Gary S. Stein, PhD, the Gerald L. Haidak, MD, and Zelda S. Haidak Professor of Cell Biology and chair and professor of cell biology: National Institute of Aging, Architectural Epigenetics of Embryonic and Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells, one year, $492,192; recommended for one more ear, $501,486*
- Susan L. Sullivan-Bolyai, DNSc, associate professor of graduate school of nursing and pediatrics: National Institute of Nursing Research, Human Patient Simulation: Parent Teaching Enhancement, one year, $527,457; recommended for three more years, $1.3 million
- William E. Theurkauf, PhD, professor of molecular medicine: National Institute of General Medical Sciences, Mitotic Responses to DNA damage, one year, $77, 781*
*These NIH funds were awarded under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009. Multiple funding options exist under the ARRA, including accelerating ongoing science by supplementing existing grants and funding new grants that are likely to produce results within two years. To download a complete list of NIH ARRA grants awarded to UMMS investigators click here.