Robert Brown, DPhil, MD, chair and professor of neurology, was the recent recipient of the Muscular Dystrophy Association’s Lou Gehrig Humanitarian Award. The award, presented at the organization’s Evening of Hope fundraiser, was given in recognition of Dr. Brown’s dedication to patients and families with ALS.
Christian Gonzalez, MD, assistant professor of anesthesiology and director of pain medicine at UMass Memorial Medical Center, was named president of the Massachusetts Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, which is dedicated to promoting the development and practice of safe, high-quality and cost-effective interventional pain management techniques.
Douglas Rothkopf, MD, professor of surgery and director of cleft lip and palate surgery at UMass Memorial Medical Center, was recognized for extraordinary service by the U.S. ambassador to Ecuador, where for 20 years, he has led a surgical team on medical missions to perform surgeries for congenital deformities and burns.
Following are faculty who have joined UMMS as professors or associate professors or who have been promoted to those ranks, as reported by the Office of Faculty Affairs:
- Richard Dutton, PhD, appointed professor of pathology
- Carlos Lois, PhD, appointed associate professor of neurobiology
- Susan Swain, PhD, appointed professor of pathology
- Krista Wilkinson, PhD, appointed adjunct professor of psychiatry
- Hong-Sheng Li, PhD, promoted to associate professor of neurobiology
- Susan Pasquale, PhD, promoted to associate professor of family medicine & community health