Fourth-year medical students Stephanie Galica and Hannah Melnitsky received the 18th annual Massachusetts Medical Scholar's Award, a highly competitive $10,000 award given by the Massachusetts Medical Society to two students at each of the state’s four medical schools. It is awarded on the basis of dedication to community service, demonstrated leadership skills and academic merit.
Deborah Harmon Hines, PhD, professor of cell biology and associate vice chancellor of School Services, was honored by the League of United Latin American Citizens at the 2010 International Women’s Day conference in March. She and other prominent area women were recognized for their for leadership in keeping with the conference theme of “paving the way” for other women.
Following are faculty who have joined UMMS as professors or associate professors or who have been promoted to those ranks, as reported by the Office of Faculty Affairs:
- Michael Blute, MD, appointed professor of surgery
- Clement Grassi, MD, appointed associate professor of radiology
- Divakar Mandapati, MD, appointed clinical associate professor of surgery
- Richard Silverman, MD, appointed clinical associate professor of surgery
- Brant Viner, MD, appointed clinical associate professor of medicine
- Edward Boyer, MD, promoted to professor of emergency medicine
- Gayle Galletta, MD, promoted to clinical associate professor of emergency medicine
- Glenn Kershaw, MD, promoted to clinical professor of medicine
- Andre van Wijnen, PhD, promoted to professor of cell biology
- Wahid Wassef, MD, promoted to professor of medicine