- Oliver J. Rando, MD, PhD, assistant professor of biochemistry & molecular pharmacology: National Institute of General Medical Sciences, Transgenerational Effects of Diet in Mammals, one year, $328,167; recommended for three more years, $987,000
- Gary S. Stein, PhD, the Gerald L. Haidak, MD, and Zelda S. Haidak Professor of Cell Biology and chair and professor of cell biology: National Cancer Institute, Nuclear Structure and Gene Expression, one year, $669,529*
- Gyongyi Szabo, MD, PhD, professor of medicine: National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, TLR4 Signaling in Alcoholic Liver Disease, one year, $410,104; recommended for one more year, $411,250
- Eva Szomolanyi-Tsuda, MD, associate professor of pathology: National Cancer Institute, Polyomavirus Infection in Immunodeficient Animal Models, one year, $262,800
- Albertha Johanna Walhout, PhD, associate professor of molecular medicine: National Institute of General Medical Sciences, Identifying Transcription Factor Binding Sites in the C. elegans Genome, one year, $501,097*
*These NIH funds were awarded under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009. Multiple funding options exist under the ARRA, including accelerating ongoing science by supplementing existing grants and funding new grants that are likely to produce results within two years. To download a complete list of NIH ARRA grants awarded to UMMS investigators click here.