International Emergency Medicine Fellowship
Mark Bisanzo, MD Fellowship Director
The International Emergency Medicine (IEM) Fellowship will challenge emergency physicians to be leaders in global health by combining clinical expertise, practical field experience, public health training, educational activities, and research opportunities in a global context.
- Develop knowledge of common health conditions in developing countries
- Develop the ability to assess diverse health systems and emergency medical care systems
- Identify and prioritize pertinent health issues
- Develop health programs to address the identified priorities
- Implement and integrate emergency medicine programs into existing health systems
- Develop the knowledge to evaluate the quality and effectiveness of programs
- Establish a professional network and administrative skills for educational exchange, research and funding
The fellowship is a two year program which incorporates the Masters of Public Health degree, clinical emergency department responsibilities, and international field work where the fellow is expected to develop clinical, research and administrative skills.
The didactic curriculum is structured around a series of core conferences at UMass, and readings from organizations active in global health including the International Committee of the Red Cross, the United Nations, Doctors Without Borders, and the World Health Organization, as well as key journal articles, policy statements and on-line resources. Fellows will also have access to other lecture series and conferences during their two year fellowship including the UMMMC Monthly Global Health Lecture Series. Depending on the fellow’s area of interest, additional participation in the bi-annual International Conference on Emergency Medicine, Humanitarian Emergencies in Large Populations or diploma in Tropical medicine are also encouraged. The IEM fellow(s) will have the opportunity to develop teaching topics for the Emergency Medicine Resident conferences for global and public health-related topics.
If you would like more information please contact:
Martha G. Wright, MBA
Manager, Emergency Medicine Residency and Fellowships
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Department of Emergency Medicine
55 Lake Avenue North, LA-166
Worcester, MA 01655
Tel: (508) 421-1417
Fax: (508) 334-7411