Disability Evaluation Services professionals continue to share their knowledge with other groups, presenting papers on a variety of subjects at various conferences.
Some of these presentations include:
"A Partnership to Help the Homeless Access Healthcare Benefits," by Michelle Richard, M.Ed., CRC, Frank Joyce, RN, Katherine Edwards, M.Ed., CCM, Kathleen Nichols, A.E. Adams, Ph.D., Poster at Commonwealth Medicine Academic Conference, April 16, 2009
"A Practical Approach to Benchmarking and Outcome Measurement in a Service Delivery Environment," by A.E. Adams, K.J. Edwards, W. Lewis, S. Campanelli, P. Barrell, F. Callahan, P. Lindblad, F. Joyce, B. Montgomery, and L. Newhall, Poster at Commonwealth Medicine Academic Conference, April 16, 2009
"Learning Disability Assessment Program," by K. J. Edwards, S. Campanelli, B. Montgomery, L. Newhall, P. Barrell, K. Nichols, Poster at Commonwealth Medicine Academic Conference, April 2006
UMass Medical School's Disability Evaluation Services held its first regional conference for New England state agencies, advocates, consumers, and students in October 2008. We plan additional regional conferences in the future.
The conference, "From Disability through Work Ability…Building Bridges," featured keynote speaker, Jean McGuire, Ph.D., Assistant Commissioner of Disability Policy and Programs, Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services. Workshops included the following presentations by other New England state agencies:
- Reviewing their models for providing vocational assistance and opportunities to Temporary Assistance for Needy Families recipients
- Cultural competencies in working with diverse populations
- Identifying and assisting clients accessing Supplemental Security Income/Social Security Disability Insurance benefits
- Overcoming domestic violence
- Providing training and vocational opportunities for people who have been homeless
The Massachusetts Medicaid Infrastructure & Comprehensive Employment Opportunities grant sponsored tuition for some attendees.