Child Psychiatry Consultation & Liaison Service
Being in the hospital can be a stressful experience for a child and their family members. Our Pediatric Psychiatry Consultation Service provides mental health support for patients facing the challenges that come with an illness.
While in the hospital, it is common for a child to have feelings of depression and/or anxiety that may make it difficult for the patient and family members to cope. Our staff is specially trained in child and adolescent psychiatry to help in these situations.
Our Pediatric Psychiatry Consultation Service provides:
- Help with adjusting to a new or ongoing medical illness
- Help in learning ways to cope with anxiety and/or depression related to medical illness
- Evaluation of a child who has experienced a traumatic event
- A plan to help a child follow his/her medical treatment
- Preparation tips for children having medical procedures or surgery
- Medication evaluations and suggestions
- Referrals for outpatient mental health services
- Help with transfers to more intense levels of psychiatric care
The inpatient pediatric care team may ask our staff to work with a family to lessen the impact of a stressful experience, promote healthy coping methods, and help a child and family return to emotional well-being. UMass Memorial is a teaching hospital. In addition to our child and adolescent psychiatrists and psychologists, the care team includes residents, fellows and students training in the field of mental health.