Silent MBSR Retreats
Importance of Retreats: Developing Essential Skills of Inquiry
The following article by Jon Kabat-Zinn explores the foundations of MBSR and the importance of meditation practice and retreat attendance for all MBSR teachers. We strongly recommend that all MBSR teacher trainees read this article, as it may assist you in selecting a suitable retreat. Some Reflections on the Origins of MBSR, Skillful Means, and the Trouble With Maps (pdf).
To be considered for Teacher Certification in MBSR, you must attend two, 5-Day (or longer) silent retreats and two 7-Day (or longer) silent retreats. These retreats should be attended concurrent with your teacher training as illustrated in the Teacher Education pre-requisites.
These MBSR Retreats meet the prerequisites of the Oasis Institute™
The beautiful colors of New England autumn at Copper Beech Institute set the tone for this 5-Day Silent Teacher-led retreat
Samish Island Campground outside of Seattle sets the stage for this 7-day retreat
Shambhala Mountain Center, located at an elevation of 8,000 feet in Northern Colorado hosts this 9-day retreat
5-day silent retreat at Fraterna Domus, Rome, Italy
This 7-day silent retreat, conveniently located between New York City and Boston, is at the Won Dharma Center in Claverack, NY. Set on a beautiful 426-acre property with panoramic view of the Catskill Mountains, Won is surrounded by wooded foothills overlooking the Hudson Valley.
Inquiry into the nature of mind, emotions, and reality is an essential skill for MBSR teachers. This skill is reinforced by a deep and extensive grounding in mindfulness meditation practice, as it is expressed within both traditional as well as more mainstream contexts. Engagement in a personal, daily mindfulness meditation practice, as well as silent, teacher-led retreats will strengthen your understanding of what it means to be a fully prepared and qualified MBSR teacher. Your own personal commitment to learning, growing and healing – and dedication to the well-being of others – will contribute to your integrity and effectiveness as a teacher.
Other Silent Retreat Centers:
- Insight Meditation Society, Barre, MA, USA
- Spirit Rock, Woodacre, CA, USA
- Insight Meditation Community of Washington, Cabin John, MD, USA
- Southern Dharma, Hot Springs, NC, USA
- Vipassana Meditation Centers (U.S. and Canada)
- Boundless Way Zen, Worcester, MA, USA
- San Francisco Zen Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
- Zen Center of San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
- Zen Community of Oregon, Clatskanie, OR, USA
- Karme Choling, Barnet, VT, USA
- Shambhala Mountain Center, Red Feather Lakes, Colorado, USA
- Gaia House, Devon, England
- Vipassana Meditation Centers (worldwide)
- Dharma Retreat, Toronto, Canada
- Cloud Mountain Retreat Center, Castle Rock, WA