Teacher Development Intensive (TDI)
**Announcement: Our MBSR in Mind-Body Medicine: A 7-Day Residential Training can now be completed at any point in the Professional Training Pathway PRIOR to applying for Teacher Certification. **
It does NOT need to be completed prior to the Teacher Development Intensive.
The Teacher Development Intensive (TDI) is the culmination of Phase 2 Oasis Institute MBSR professional education and training program. Successful completion of the TDI provides you with the minimum qualifications for beginning to teach MBSR.
The TDI focuses on MBSR teacher formation and readiness. It is an eight-day residential intensive training that will help you refine your teaching skills through highly focused and sustained inner work in the context of a rigorous teaching laboratory. This environment allows you to cultivate a practical and in-depth familiarity with, and competency in, multiple aspects of the MBSR curriculum, including presentational elements, guidance in meditation and yoga practice, inquiry and group dynamics, and preparation of supporting materials.
Highly participatory and collaborative, the TDI will further your ability to:
- Meet the experience and expression of stress, pain, grief, and anxiety within yourself and when working with others
- Understand the experiential, didactic, and conceptual elements of MBSR
- Examine and apply the language and methods used for teaching and guiding others in the formal and informal methods of mindfulness meditation in various settings
- Demonstrate proficiency in guiding others in a range of MBSR meditation practices
- Practice the skills of inquiry, dialogue, and group dynamics that are the hallmarks of MBSR
- Participate in individual interviews and continued inquiry with TDI teachers
- Receive guidance in the development of supporting materials
- Completion of the Practicum in MBSR
- Ongoing daily meditation as well as yoga and other body-centered awareness practices; and commitment to the integration of mindfulness in everyday life.
- Professional experience in the fields of health care, education, social change and/or contemplative arts or practice
- Participation in two (2) 5-7 day silent, teacher-led mindfulness meditation retreats (one retreat having been within the last 3 years)
- Eight-day residential training program.
- 92 hours of direct instruction.
- Comprehensive investigation of the underpinnings of the MBSR curriculum.
- Extensive first-hand experience about how to teach MBSR.
- Exploration of the dynamics of change and transformation within yourself and in MBSR class participants.
- Refinement of your personal meditation and yoga practice.
- Exploration of the ways that the MBSR model has been integrated into other mindfulness-based approaches and interventions.
- Participation in an ongoing supportive learning community.
- Examine, in detail, the MBSR curriculum and its theoretical, philosophical, and pedagogical underpinnings
- Demonstrate and apply foundational MBSR teaching skills
- Analyze and demonstrate the precise use of language to enhance clarity of communication in all phases of instruction
- Investigate and make explicit the psychodynamic elements that manifest within the teacher and participants in the MBSR classroom
- Develop and demonstrate a capacity for sustained dynamic stability in the midst of uncertain and highly charged situations
- In-depth preparation for beginning to teach MBSR
Successful completion of the TDI means that you meet the minimum qualifications for beginning to teach complete MBSR courses on your own.
Program Dates and Fees
August 24 - September 1 - Massachusetts
Hosted by The Center for Mindfulness in Medicine Health Care, and Society
Applications open: March 28
Application deadline: May 29
February 16 - 24, 2017 - Austria
Hosted by Arbor Seminaire
Bildungshaus St. Arbogast
Montfortstraße 88 (Montfort Street 88)
A-6840 Götzis, Vorarlberg
Applications open: May 3, 2016
Application deadline: June 19, 2016
Continuing Education Credits (USA only)
How to Apply
Please apply using our online application form. You will need to have your CV/Resume available on your computer before you begin filling out the application form because you will attach it to the application form and you cannot submit the form without the CV/Resume. The CV/Resume should be in MS Word or PDF format.
After you submit your application, you will be redirected to pay a $50 application fee. The application fee is non-refundable, regardless of your final acceptance status.