Carolyn West, MA, CAGS, PhD
Certified Teacher, MBSR
Ph.D. Northeastern University, 1999
C.A.G.S., American International College, 1987
M.A., American International College, 1978
B.A., College of Saint Rose, 1967
Focus & Interests
- Mindful Parenting
- Women's Health and Development
- Aging and Wellness
Carolyn has a 35 year career in education and psychology which has included work with children including those with special needs, and the parents, caregivers, and teachers who support them. She has held faculty positions at American International College and Western New England University where she initiated an undergraduate course which embedded MBSR within a Health Psychology course.
She has had a meditation practice since 1994 and has taught MBSR for 14 years. She is a Senior Instructor in the Stress Reduction Program at the Center for Mindfulness. She has trained and mentored students throughout her career and as a member of the Oasis faculty, and has a deep commitment to the development and mentoring of the next generation of MBSR teachers.
During her years in private practice, Carolyn incorporated mindfulness into her work with individuals and offered courses in MBSR as well as those specifically tailored to parents and issues of women’s health and development.
- Instructor and Administrator of Educational Services, American International College and the Curtis Blake Center, 1980-1996
- Administrator of Psychological Services, Curtis Blake Center of American International College, 1996-1999
- Assistant Professor of Psychology, Western New England University, 1999-2002
- Adjunct Professor of Psychology, Western New England University, 2002-2003
- Private practice in psychology, 2003-2008
- Instructor in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction and Psycho-social group leader, Change of Heart, Baystate Cardiac Rehabilitation 2008-2010
- Senior Instructor in the Stress Reduction program, Center for Mindfulness, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 2008-present
- Oasis Faculty, Center for Mindfulness, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 2010-present