MBSR in Mind-Body Medicine: 7-Day Residential Professional Training
Participation in this professional training program offers you an opportunity to study mindfulness and the MBSR approach directly with Center for Mindfulness leaders.
You will learn how to practice mindfulness meditation as it is taught in the Stress Reduction Program at the UMass Medical School and explore the practical application and integration of MBSR in health care and other settings. Oriented toward health care professionals, this intensive, residential training program emphasizes the need for you to embody mindfulness meditation practice in your own life before attempting to teach it to others. While information on creating MBSR clinics is touched on, it is not a major focus of the retreat.
Hosted by Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, New York
Registration Details TBA
Specific themes and areas of focus
- Seamless cultivation of mindfulness throughout the program through both formal and informal practices – in silence, conversation, and dialogue.
- Mindful approaches to the experience and expression of stress, pain, grief, and anxiety within ourselves and when working with others.
- Examination of the language and methods used for teaching and guiding others in the formal and informal methods of mindfulness meditation in various settings.
- Review of research supporting the clinical value of MBSR.
- Exploration of the essential components of MBSR, including specific program structure and content, assessment and screening of program participants, as well as teacher readiness and competency.
- Exploration of the ethical and moral principles and the domains of non-harming, compassion, and wisdom that underlie mindfulness meditation practice and MBSR.
- Demonstrate the ongoing practice of the principles of mindfulness in silence, conversation, and dialogue.
- Describe mindful approaches to stress, pain, grief, and anxiety when working with ourselves and others.
- Demonstrate the language and methods used for instructing and guiding others in the formal and informal methods of mindfulness meditation in various settings.
- Discuss research supporting the clinical value of MBSR.
- Describe the essential components of a viable mindfulness training program, including MBSR teacher readiness and competency criteria.
- Explore the ethical and moral principles and the domains of non-harming, compassion, and wisdom that underlie mindfulness practice and MBSR
Important Program Notes
- A letter containing the retreat schedule will be sent upon registration.
- Required reading before the program: Jon Kabat-Zinn, Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness; and Saki F. Santorelli, Heal Thy Self: Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine. Also recommended but not required: Jon Kabat-Zinn, Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness.
- This program fulfills one of the requirements for Teacher Certification in MBSR.
- This program does not fulfill the silent retreat requirement for the Practicum in MBSR, Teacher Development Intensive, Supervision, or Teacher Certification in MBSR Review.
- Attendance does not constitute authorization by instructors from the Center for Mindfulness in MEdicine, Health Care and Society to teach MBSR.
Schedule & Locations
Hosted by Omega Institute in Rhinebeck, NY
Registration details TBA