Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in Mind-Body Medicine: A 7-Day Professional Training
Participation in this MBSR professional training program offers you an opportunity to study mindfulness and the MBSR approach directly with Center for Mindfulness founder Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, and Center for Mindfulness Executive Director, Saki Santorelli, EdD, MA. You will learn how to practice mindfulness meditation as it is taught in the Stress Reduction Program at the UMass Medical School and explore the practical application and integration of MBSR in health care and other settings. Oriented toward health care professionals, this intensive, residential training program emphasizes the need for you to embody mindfulness meditation practice in your own life before attempting to teach it to others. While information on creating MBSR clinics is touched on, it is not a major focus of the retreat.
Note that this program does not fulfill the silent retreat requirement for the Practicum in MBSR, Teacher Development Intensive, Supervision, or Teacher Certification in MBSR Review.
Specific themes and areas of focus
- Seamless cultivation of mindfulness throughout the program through both formal and informal practices – in silence, conversation, and dialogue.
- Mindful approaches to the experience and expression of stress, pain, grief, and anxiety within ourselves and when working with others.
- Examination of the language and methods used for teaching and guiding others in the formal and informal methods of mindfulness meditation in various settings.
- Review of research supporting the clinical value of MBSR.
- Exploration of the essential components of MBSR, including specific program structure and content, assessment and screening of program participants, as well as teacher readiness and competency.
- Exploration of the ethical and moral principles and the domains of non-harming, compassion, and wisdom that underlie mindfulness meditation practice and MBSR.
- Demonstrate the ongoing practice of the principles of mindfulness in silence, conversation, and dialogue.
- Describe mindful approaches to stress, pain, grief, and anxiety when working with ourselves and others.
- Demonstrate the language and methods used for instructing and guiding others in the formal and informal methods of mindfulness meditation in various settings.
- Discuss research supporting the clinical value of MBSR.
- Describe the essential components of a viable mindfulness training program, including MBSR teacher readiness and competency criteria.
- Explore the ethical and moral principles and the domains of non-harming, compassion, and wisdom that underlie mindfulness practice and MBSR.
Important Program Notes:
- A letter containing the retreat schedule will be sent upon registration.
- Required reading before the program: Jon Kabat-Zinn, Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness; and Saki F. Santorelli, Heal Thy Self: Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine. Also recommended but not required: Jon Kabat-Zinn, Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness.
- This program fulfills one of the requirements for Teacher Certification in MBSR.
- Attendance does not constitute authorization by Jon Kabat-Zinn and Saki F. Santorelli to teach MBSR.
2014 Course sessions:
In the USA
This program is offered annually at different locations in the USA in collaboration with the Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY.
Dates and locations:
June 6 - 13, 2014: Omega Institute - Rhinebeck, New York
** Registration for this course offering is currently full with a wait list. To be added to the wait list, please contact Omega Institute, which is listed below.
Program tuition: $1,525*, payable to the Omega Institute
*tuition is subject to change per the Omega Institute
Room and meal costs are additional. Please inquire directly to Omega Institute for housing options.
The Omega Institute manages all registration and payment matters for the 2014 sessions of this program in the USA. Please contact Omega directly for all matters relating to your participation including registration, waiting lists, payment, housing, meals, and transportation.
To register and/or for more information, please contact
150 Lake Drive, Rhinebeck, NY 12572-3212
Tel: (877) 944-2002 or (845) 266-4444
Continuing Education Credits:
Please inquire directly with Omega Institute regarding credit hours awarded for this training.
June 20 – 27, 2014
Registration information, please visit the host location's website: www.cfm.dk