The Department of Cell Biology at the University of Massachusetts School of Medicine is seeking an accomplished Anatomist/Medical Educator to teach and provide collaborative leadership in an extensive multidisciplinary course for first-year medical students that integrates human anatomy, histology, embryology/development, physiology, and imaging. Additional responsibilities include enhancing anatomy education throughout the undergraduate medical program.
The Anatomist/Medical Educator will actively pursue new methods and approaches to enhance the school’s newly redesigned integrated curriculum. These will include uses of technology to support teaching, development of new curricular components/educational materials and implementation of new methods for student assessment. He or she will be expected to contribute to educational scholarship, such as academic publications and presentations. The Anatomist/Medical Educator will possess the strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills needed to lead and participate in effective teaching programs, and to collaborate successfully with faculty and staff throughout the school.
Required Qualifications of the Successful Candidate:
- PhD, MD or DO degree (or equivalent)
- Demonstrated record of excellence in didactic and dissection-based teaching of Human Anatomy to undergraduate medical students for at least 7 years
- High level of proficiency and interest in integrative, multidisciplinary medical education
- Excellent leadership skills, demonstrated by successful management of a course or block of curriculum
- Evidence of engagement and productivity in the scholarship of teaching, such as dissemination of work through peer-reviewed publication or presentation, or participation in regional or national educational groups
Preference will be given to candidates who also have:
- Knowledge and teaching proficiency in clinically-focused neuroanatomy
- Teaching experience in any of the related anatomic disciplines
Appointment will be at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank, commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Interested applicants should email the following documents:
- a curriculum vitae,
- a letter of interest that includes a summary of educational accomplishments,
- the names of three references
Email to: Anatomist-MedicalEducatorSearch@umassmed.edu.
Note: References will be contacted, with your permission, only if the Anatomist/Medical Educator Search Committee decides to pursue your application.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, the University of Massachusetts School of Medicine recognizes the power of a diverse community, and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.
PDF - Job Description
PDF - UMMS School of Medicine Curriculum
PDF - UMMS LiNC Brochure
UMMS Office of Undergraduate Medical Education