Traffic and Parking Updates
UPDATE: Monday, Oct. 1
Construction traffic at South Road garage entrance
Beginning this week, the one-way road leading to the east entrance of the South Road (new) garage will periodically be used by construction vehicles exiting the ACCES construction site. When this occurs, signage will be placed indicating that construction vehicles will be using the left lane temporarily to exit the construction site. Vehicles entering the new garage should exercise extra caution and be prepared to stay in the right-hand lane when this signage is displayed.
New evening traffic patterns for South and First Roads (see map below)
In order to allow construction crews to install utility lines for the new Advanced Center for Clinical Education and Sciences (ACCES), South Road between First and Second Roads will be closed to all traffic between the hours of 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. from Monday, Oct. 1, through Friday, Oct. 12. Please note this time frame is approximate and weather permitting. However, in no instance will the road close before 7 p.m. or be closed after 6 a.m.
During these evening and night time hours, the traffic pattern on First and Second Roads will be reversed. Traffic heading east (toward Lake Avenue) on South Road will be detoured onto First Road to Second Road around the closed section of South Road. Public Safety details will be on site directing traffic. Please see map below.
The following traffic impacts will occur:
- Remillard Family Pavilion
Vehicles traveling up South Road from Lake Avenue can go no further than the Remillard Family Pavilion. Vehicles dropping off employees, patients or visitors at the Remillard entrance must loop around to Second Road and return to South Road heading east toward Lake Avenue.
- Emergency Department
Traffic exiting the Emergency Department parking lot will be directed to travel east down South Road to Lake Avenue (unless they are going to park in the South Road Garage).
- First Road Garage
- First Road (old) garage will only be accessible from South Road by way of Plantation Street. Employees who normally drive up South Road from Lake Avenue to enter the old garage must instead use Plantation Street.
- Traffic exiting the old garage at the First Road exit must follow the detour and head east on South Road toward Lake Avenue. To head west on South Road toward Plantation Street when exiting the old garage, vehicles must use the South Road exit.
- South Road Garage
- South Road (new) garage will be accessible only from South Road by way of Lake Avenue. Employees who normally drive down South Road from Plantation Street to enter the new garage must instead use Lake Avenue.
- Traffic exiting the South Road (new) garage must turn right and travel east down South Road to Lake Avenue.
South Road will be open and the normal traffic pattern on First Road will resume daily from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Campus map with traffic pattern changes
UPDATE: Thursday, August 23
In support of installing utilities in a trench for heating and cooling for the AECPC, construction crews will shift the traffic patterns on First Road and South Road from 6 pm to 6 am beginning August 27 through approximately October 5.
- There will be intermittent closures of First Road (in the area of the LRB) on Monday night, August 27. Pedestrians will still be ableto enter and exit the LRB through the lobby, but vehicular traffic will not have access to that area.
- Also after 6 pm on August 27, the traffic island in South Road between First and Second Roads will be removed; access to the campus will be maintained, but work in this area will require drivers to exercise caution and patience.
- Starting Tuesday, August 28 at 6 pm, westbound lanes of South Road will be closed from 6 pm to 6 am; westbound traffic will be detoured around the quad. Watch for detour and directional signs, and public safety staff.
- Traffic patterns on South Road and around the quad will be returned to normal by 6 am each morning.
Around Labor Day, additional reconfigurations of traffic will be necessary as work on the utility trench moves along South Road. Work that requires traffic pattern changes will take place from 6 pm to 6 am, with normal traffic patterns restored by 6 am each day.
UPDATE: Monday, July 9
Beginning on Monday, July 16, and continuing through Thursday, July 19, both lanes of First Road in front of the LRB will be closed after hours (from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.) to allow construction crews to access underground utilities. When this section of road is closed after hours, detour signage will be in place. The road will be fully accessible from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
UPDATE: Tuesday, April 17
A new phase of construction of the Advanced Education and Clinical Practice Center is scheduled to begin this month. This new phase of work will result in increased activity at the construction site and bring additional construction personnel and vehicles to campus. Please be aware of how this activity will impact the campus community, as detailed below.
A crane for hoisting steel will arrive on campus Thursday, April 19, or Friday, April 20. A Public Safety detail will be on site to direct vehicle and pedestrian traffic as the crane is routed from Plantation Street down South Road to the construction site.
Steel erection is scheduled to begin on Monday, April 23. Over the following two months, deliveries of steel will be made several times a week. To minimize the impact on traffic, deliveries are scheduled to occur between 6 and 8 a.m. and Public Safety details will be on hand when needed.
South Road Garage
Because of the close proximity of the new building to the garage, the area closest to where steel is being erected on the rooftop ( Level 5 ) of the garage will be cordoned off to ensure the safety of pedestrians and vehicles. Consequently, approximately 50 unreserved parking spaces will be taken out of service beginning Monday, April 23. (There continues to be ample parking in other unreserved areas, particularly the Pine Tree Lot.) To further ensure pedestrian safety, covered walkways adjacent to the work areas will be constructed.
UPDATE: Monday, Dec. 4, 2006
Once construction begins and for the duration of the project, the west entrance (closest to Plantation Street) of the South Road Garage will be closed. All vehicles will enter the garage through the east entrance (closest to Lake Avenue) ONLY and exit the garage onto South Road ONLY.
Parking-South Road Garage
Valet Parking will move to the first floor of the new garage; the second floor will remain visitor/patient parking and the third floor, which currently includes some employee/student parking, will become all visitor/patient parking; floors 4 and 5 will continue to be designated unreserved employee/student parking.
New signage clearly marking changes to valet parking will be installed the weekend prior to Monday, Dec. 4, and additional public safety personnel will be on site to ensure pedestrian and vehicle traffic safety.
While there is ample unreserved employee/student parking on campus to accommodate all vehicles with unreserved tags, this new configuration of spaces may require a few days of adjustment and patience. If you normally park in the South Road Garage, you may want to allow yourself a few extra minutes in the morning the week of Dec. 4–8 to become familiar with the new traffic patterns.
Your continued cooperation and patience are appreciated. Any questions regarding parking may be directed to the Parking Office at 508-856-5631 or sent via e-mail to Campus.Mod@umassmed.edu .