Residency Application Requirements
- ERAS applications ONLY. They must be received by November 30, both categorical and advanced positions are available.
- All vacancies are filled through the match.
- 3 current letters of recommendation, preferably one being from an anesthesiology rotation
- Competitive USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores, first attempts of MD’s; DO’s must have competitive COMLEX 1 and 2 scores, first attempts, and must also take USMLE Step 1
- Personal statement relative to your interest in anesthesia
- Strong academic and clinical performance in medical school
- All breaks or extensions in medical education must be explained
- The institution only accepts US Citizens, Permanent Residents and J-1 Visa’s
- Candidates can be out of medical school for no more than 10 years
- IMG candidates that have been out of medical school a significant amount of time must have completed an anesthesiology residency in their home country
- Valid ECFMG certificate
- Absolute fluency in both spoken and written English
- Must meet all requirements in order to obtain medical licensure in the state of Massachusetts
- Must meet GME Blood-borne Pathogens requirements, as well as specialty-specific technical standards (link to GME for blood-borne policy and to our department technical standards)
- Interview season runs from November through the end of January
Residency Program Staff include:
- Stephen O. Heard, M.D., Professor and Chair of Anesthesiology
- Mark Dershwitz, M.D., Ph.D., Professor and Academic Vice Chair of Anesthesiology
- Eleanor M. Duduch, M.D., Residency Program Director and Clinical Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
- Lisa Nicholson, Residency and Fellowship Program Coordinator
Applications will not be accepted via e-mail or fax. Applicants must pass USMLE/COMLEX Step 2 CS and CK before being placed on Match Rank Order List.
Please note that we do not offer observerships or externships. Requests for non-UMass 4th year student rotations cannot be accepted until after May 1, as UMass students are given priority.
CONTACT INFO: Anesthesia Residency Program
Lisa Nicholson, Residency Coordinator