Required Documents for International Travel
Passport should be valid for at least six-months into the future.
- F-1 Students must have a Form I-20 that is valid beyond the intended re-entry date with a valid travel signature (within the past twelve months) from Immigration Services. Non-UMMS students in F-1 status must contact their sponsoring institution if a travel signature is required. Individuals on F-1 Optional Practical Training must also have a valid employment authorization card (EAD) and employment verification / job offer (if applicable)
- J-1 Exchange Visitors must have a Form DS-2019 valid beyond the intended re-entry date with a valid travel signature (within the past twelve months) from Immigration Services. Non-UMMS sponsored J-1 Exchange Visitors (Graduate Medical Education Residents / Fellows sponsored by ECFMG, for example) must contact their J program sponsor for the appropriate travel signature. Please review the additional travel information for ECFMG sponsored residents and fellows.
- H-1B Temporary Workers must have a Form I-797 (approval notice) that is valid beyond the intended re-entry date.
Proof of UMMS Employment, GSBS Enrollment or Other Affiliation
- Employees (researchers, faculty, GME fellows/residents) can request an employment verification letter by contacting the HR Data Group. Call the HR main phone number, 508-856-5260. When prompted, press 1 for the Service Center for Benefits and Employment Verifications and Records. Then, press 2 to get to the HR Data group to request your Employment Verification Letter. In addition, employees can print recent pay advices using the HR Direct/Employee Self-Service.
- Contingent Workers (funded by non-UMMS sources) should carry a letter from their sponsoring department and/or sponsoring institution to explain the UMMS affiliation. In addition, we recommend that you carry proof of your non-UMMS funding.
- GSBS Students must complete a Request for International Travel Form with the Graduate School. Students should also obtain an enrollment verifcation letter (from Registrar's Office) or UMMS student transcript proving full-time enrollment status.
If you need to renew/obtain a U.S. visa stamp in order prior to re-entry to the United States, additional documents and preparation may be required.