Farmers Market Sprouts on Campus
The Greater Worcester Farmers Market returns to the UMass Medical School Worcester campus this month, marking its seventh season of bringing fresh fruits, vegetables, breads and other locally produced goods to campus.
The 2012 market season begins on June 19 and continues through October 30. Every Tuesday during the season, rain or shine, the market will run from 12:30 to 5 p.m. on the plaza in front of the Medical School building entrance. The market is jointly sponsored by UMMS and the UMass Memorial Medical Center.
According to Andy O’Keefe, who has managed the Greater Worcester Farmers Market for more than 20 years, many of the “usual favorites” of the market will be back this season, along with some new faces. Town Farm Gardens, for example, will be joining the market this year, selling jams, jellies, pickles and other preserved goods, O’Keefe said.
The current list of vendors participating in the 2012 Farmers Market is:
- Everyday Homemade (pies, cookies, squares and other baked goods, as well as warm lunch offerings)
- Brook Farm (local vegetables and fruits)
- Farmacy Gardens (semi-organic fruits, vegetables and flowers)
- Great Harvest Bread (aka “the Bread Lady”)
- Nicewicz Farm (orchard fruit and other vegetables)
- Parker Sugar House (local maple products)
- Shady Pine Farm (hormone and antibiotic-free meat and eggs)
- Town Farm Gardens (jams, jellies, pickles)
In addition to the Tuesday Farmers Market, the UMMS campus also hosts a monthly distribution program for the Massachusetts Local Food Cooperative. For more information on the cooperative, see a related story at this link.