Constance MOORE, Ph.D.
Center for Comparative NeuroImaging
Department of Psychiatry
University of Massachusetts Medical School
303 Belmont St., Worcester, MA 01604
Tel: 508-856-7783 E-Mail: Constance.Moore@umassmed.edu
|Year||Degree||Field of Study||Institution|
|1987||B.Sc. (2.1. Honours)||Physics and Mathematics||University College, Dublin|
|1990||M.Sc.||Physics||Trinity College, Dublin|
|1993||Ph.D.||In Vivo NMR Spectroscopy||University College, Dublin|
|1993 – 1994||Research Associate ||In Vivo NMR Spectroscopy/Physics ||University of Liverpool|
|1994 – 1996||Research Fellow||In Vivo NMR Spectroscopy/Neuroscience||Harvard Medical School|
|1996 – 2002||Instructor, Psychiatry||Harvard Medical School|
|2002 – 2010||Assistant Professor of Psychiatry||Harvard Medical School|
|2010 – Present||Associate Professor of Psychiatry||University of Massachusetts Medical School |
|2013 – Present||Associate Professor of Radiology||University of Massachusetts Medical School |
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Czerniak SM, Sikoglu ME, King JA, Kennedy DN, Mick E, Frazier JA, Moore CM (2013): Areas of the Brain Modulated by Single-Dose Methylphenidate Treatment in ADHD Patients During Task-Based fMRI: A Systematic Review. Harv Rev Psychiatry. May-Jun; 21(3):151-62.
- Deligiannidis KM, Sikoglu EM, Shaffer SA, Frederick BdeB, Svenson A, Kopoyan A, Kosma C, Rothschild AJ, Moore CM (2013): GABAergic Neuroactive Steroids and Resting-State Functional Connectivity in Postpartum Depression: A Preliminary Study. J Psychiatr Res. 2013 Jun;47(6):816-28.
- Sikoglu ME, Jensen JE, Vitaliano G, Liso Navarro AA, Renshaw PF, Frazier JA, Moore CM (2013): Bioenergetic Measurements in Children with Bipolar Disorder: A Pilot 31P Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Study. PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e54536. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0054536. Epub 2013 Jan 30.
- Hammerness P, Biederman J, Petty C, Henin A, Moore CM (2012): Brain Biochemical Effects of Methylphenidate Treatment Using Proton Magnetic Spectroscopy in Youth with Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: A Controlled Pilot Study. CNS Neurosci Ther. 18(1): 34-40.
- Gönenç A, Frazier JA, Crowley DJ, Moore CM (2010): Combined Diffusion Tensor Imaging and Transverse Relaxometry in Early Onset Bipolar Disorder. The Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 49(12): 1260-8.
- Yildiz A, Gökmen N, Kücükgüclü S, Yurt A, Olson D, Rouse ED, Azer S, Moore CM, Dicle O, Renshaw PF. (2010): In vivo proton magnetic resonance spectroscopic examination of benzodiazepine action in humans. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging. 184(3):162-70.
- Lopez-Larson M, Breeze JL, Kennedy DN, Hodge SM, Tang L, Moore CM, Giuliano AJ, Makris N, Caviness VS, Frazier JA. (2010): Age-related changes in the corpus callosum in early-onset bipolar disorder assessed using volumetric and cross-sectional measurements. Brain Imaging Behav. Aug 5.
- Iosifescu DV, Moore CM, Deckersbach T, Tilley CA, Ostacher MJ, Sachs GS, Nierenberg AA. (2009): Galantamine-ER for cognitive dysfunction in bipolar disorder and correlation with hippocampal neuronal viability: a proof-of-concept study. CNS Neurosci Ther. 15(4): 309-19.
- Lopez-Larson M, Michaels E, Terry J, Breeze JL, Kennedy DN, Makris N, Hodge SM, Moore CM, Caviness VS, Frazier JA. (2009): Volumetric differences in subcortical structures detected in youths with bipolar disorder and comorbid attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder compared to youths with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology.19(1): 31-9.
- Forester B, Streeter CC, Berlow YA, Tian H, Wardrop M, Finn CT, Harper D, Renshaw PF, Moore CM. (2009): Brain Lithium Levels and Effects on Cognition and Mood in Geriatric Bipolar Disorder: a Lithium-7 Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Study. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 17(1): 13-23.
- Forester B, Finn CT, Berlow YA, Wardrop M, Renshaw PF, Moore CM. Brain lithium, N-acetyl aspartate (NAA) and myo-Inositol (m-Ino) levels in Older Adults with Bipolar Disorder Treated with Lithium: A Lithium-7 and Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS). Bipolar Disorders 2008. 10(6): 691-700.
- Moore CM, Frazier JA, Glod CA, Breeze J, Dieterich M, Finn CT, Frederick BdeB and Renshaw PF. Glutamine and Glutamate Levels in Children and Adolescents with Bipolar Disorder: A Preliminary 4.0 T Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Study of the Anterior Cingulate Cortex. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2007. 46(4): 524-34.
- Moore CM, Biederman J, Wozniak J, Mick E, Aleardi A, Wardrop M, Dougherty M, Harpold T, Hammerness P, Randall E, Lyoo IK and Renshaw PF, Mania, Glutamate/Glutamine and Risperidone in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder: A Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Study of the Anterior Cingulate Cortex. Journal of Affective Disorders 2007. 99(1-3): 19-25.
- Moore, CM, Wardrop M. Frederick B.deB and Renshaw, PF. Topiramate Raises Anterior Cingulate Cortex Glutamine Levels in Healthy Male Adults; A 4.0 T Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Study. Psychopharmacology 2006. 188(2): 236-43.
- Moore CM, Biederman J, Wozniak J, Mick E, Aleardi M, Wardrop M, Dougherty M, Harpold T, Hammerness P, Randall E, and Renshaw PF. Differences in Brain Chemistry in Youth with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder with and without comorbid Bipolar Disorder: A Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Study. Am J Psychiatry 2006; 163(2): 316 – 31.
- Yildiz A, Moore CM, Sachs GS, Demopulos CM, Tunca Z, Erbayraktar Z, Renshaw PF. Lithium-induced alterations in nucleoside triphosphate levels in human brain: a proton-decoupled 31P magnetic resonance spectroscopy study. Psychiatry Research 2005; 138(1):51-9.
- Dorsey CM, Lukas SE, Moore CM, Tartarini WL, Parow AM, Villafuerte RA, Renshaw PF. Phosphorous31 magnetic resonance spectroscopy after total sleep deprivation in healthy adult men. Sleep 2003: 26(5): 573-7.
- Moore CM, Bonello CM, Sherwood AR, Cohen BM, Renshaw PF, Yurgelun-Todd DA. Mesial temporal lobe Cho to Cr(PCr) ratio asymmetry in chronic schizophrenics. Schizophrenia Research 2002; 57(1): 35-42.
- Moore CM, Demopulos CM, Henry ME, Steingard RJ, Zamvil L, Katic A, Breeze JL, Moore JC, Cohen BM, Renshaw PF. Brain-to-serum lithium ratio and age: An in vivo lithium magnetic resonance spectroscopy study. Am J Psychiatry 2002; 159(7): 1240-2.
- Yildiz A, Demopulos CM, Moore CM, Renshaw PF, Sachs GS. Effect of lithium on phosphoinositide metabolism in human brain: A proton decoupled 31P magnetic resonance spectroscopy study. Biol Psychiatry 2001; 50(1): 3-7.
- Moore CM, Breeze JL, Gruber SA, Babb SM, Frederick BB, Villafuerte VA, et al. Choline, Myo-inositol, and Mood in Bipolar Disorder: A Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopic Imaging Study of the Anterior Cingulate Cortex. Bipolar Disorders 2000; 2(2): 207-16.
- Henry ME, Moore CM, Kaufman MJ, Michelson D, Schmidt ME, Stoddard E, et al. Brain kinetics of paroxetine and fluoxetine on the third day of placebo substitution: a fluorine MRS study. Am J Psychiatry 2000; 157(9):1506-8.
- Moore CM, Breeze JL, Kukes TJ, Rose SL, Dager SR, Cohen BM, Renshaw PF. Effects of myo-Inositol ingestion on human brain myo-Inositol levels: A proton magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging study. Biol Psychiatry 1999; 45(9): 1197-1202.
- Moore CM, Christensen JD, Lafer B, Fava M, Renshaw PF. Decreased adenosine triphosphate in the basal ganglia of depressed subjects: A phosphorous-31 magnetic resonance spectroscopy study. Am J Psychiatry 1997; 154(1): 116-118.
- Buckley P, Moore C, Long H, Larkin C, Thompson P, Mulvaney F, et al. 1H-Magnetic resonance spectroscopy of the left temporal and frontal lobes in schizophrenia: clinical, neurodevelopmental and cognitive correlates. Biol Psychiatry 1994; 36(12), 792-800.
Invited Oral Presentations
- Collaborative Neuropsychology/Neuroimaging Research in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder: An update. Ryan Licht Sang Bipolar Foundation 2009; Cambridge, MA, USA.
- Neuroimaging Biomarkers in Geriatric Mood Disorders. IGCP 2009; Baltimore, MD, USA.
- MRS in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Bressler Program at MGH 2008; Boston, MA, USA.
- Collaborative Neuropsychology/Neuroimaging Research in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder: An update. NIMH 2008; Cambridge, MA, USA.
- MRS in Children and Adolescents. Bipolar Disorders 2008; Antalya, Turkey.
- MRS in Children and Adolescents with Bipolar Disorder. AACAP 2007; Boston, MA, USA
2010 – Present, Society for Neuroscience
2005 – Present, Society of Biological Psychiatry
Journal of Clinical Medicine. Special issue: Bipolar Disorder in Children and Adolescents. 2013
Editorial Board Member
Frontiers in Child and Neurodevelopmental Psychiatry
European Journal of Psychiatry
Journal of Affective Disorders
Journal of Clinical Psychiatry
Journal of Neurochemistry
Journal of Psychiatric Research
Journal of Psychopharmacology
Journal of the American Medical Association: Psychiatry
Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry
2008-Present, ad hoc reviewer, Child Psychopathology and Developmental Brain Disorders, NIMH study section
2006-2009, Program Planning Committee, Society of Biological Psychiatry
June 2011, National Institute for Health Center for Scientific Review - ZRG1 BDCN
October 2011, The Eunice Kennedy Shriver NICHHD – CHHD – C1
September 2012, 2013/03 ZRG1 BBBP-V (03) Member-Conflict Meeting
December 2012, Health Research Board of Ireland, Reviewer.
March 2013, 2013/05 ZMH1 ERB-D (04) S - National Institute of Mental Health Special Emphasis Panel
NNDC Child & Adolescent Mood Disorders Task Group
Fall 2011, 2013: Visualizing the Brain at Work – Seminar series. GSBS Course 815.
Fall 2011 onward: Imaging AIG.
GSBS and UMMS Activities:
July 2011: Lead RAPS (reading, analysis & problem solving) summer group.
December 2011 onward: Interviewing Ph.D. and M.D/Ph.D. candidates. Participating in the recruitment weekends.
January 2013: Lead RAPS session on responsible conduct of research.
March 2013: Tufts Cummings School - UMass Pilot Grant Review Committee
I have mentored 11 clinical investigators, 4 Research Fellows, 7 research assistants and 3 students. Many have gone on to successful independent careers in science and academia. In particular, I have mentored the following individuals (with current positions):
Sufen Chiu, M.D., Ph.D., (Staff Psychiatrist, Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento, CA)
Mary Ahn, M.D (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, UMMS)
Jacob Venter, M.MED., M.B.,CH.B., (Staff Psychiatrist, Maricopa Integrated Health System Phoenix, AZ)
Aude Henin, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School) – NARSAD Mentor
Paul Hammerness, M.D. (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School)
Gagan Joshi, M.D. (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School)
Janet Wozniak, M.D. (Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School)
Melissa Lopez-Larson, M.D. (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, University of Utah)
Brent Forester, (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School) – K23 Mentor
Douglas Kondo, M.D. (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, University of Utah) – K23 Mentor
Ben Nwosu (Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, UMMS) – Mentor
Kristina Deligiannidis (Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, UMMS) – K23 Mentor
Atilla Gonenc, Ph.D. (Instructor in Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School) – NARSAD Mentor
Elif Sikoglu (Research Fellow, UMMS)
Ana Liso Navarro (Research Fellow, UMMS)
Katrin Seifert, Psy.D (Clinical Psychologist, Salud Family Health Centers)
Megan Deiterich, M.P.H. (Graduate Student at Yale University)
Megan Morgrove, B.A. (Research Center Financial Administrator at Tufts University)
Chelsea Finn, B.A. (Studying Clinical Nurse Leader at the University of Virginia)
David Crowley, B.A. (Research Associate, Harvard Medical School)
Alex DiBenedetto, B.S. (Lab Technician, UMMS)
Charlene Hill, B.S. (Lab Technician, UMMS)
Ryan Rogan, B.S. (Lab Technician, UMMS)
Aslihan Dincer (Graduate Student, UMMS) – Supervised for a Rotation
Suzanne Czerniak (MD/Ph.D. student, UMMS) – Supervised for a Rotation
Suzanne Czerniak (MD/Ph.D. student, UMMS) – Thesis Advisor
Zhifeng Liang (Graduate Student, UMMS) - TRAC Committee Chair
John Hegarty (Graduate Student, University of Missouri-Columbia) - External Mentor
- NIMH: R01-MH073998 (PI: Constance Moore; Status: Active). Title: Glutamine and Glutamate in Children and Adolescents with Bipolar Disorder (end date 3/31/2014).
- The Stanley Foundation (PI: Constance Moore; Status: Completed 2010). Title: MRI/MRSI Studies of Bipolar Treatment Response.
- NIMH: R21-MH082335 (PI: Constance Moore; Status: Completed 2010). Title: Lithium Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy of Children and Adolescents with Bipolar Disorder.
- NARSAD (PI: Aude Henin PhD; Role: Mentor; Status: Completed 2009). Title: Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in Children at Risk for Bipolar Disorder.
- NARSAD (PI: Jerrold Rosenbaum MD; Role: Co-Investigator; Status: Completed 2009). Title: Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopic Imaging of Children at Risk for Mood and Anxiety Disorders.
- NARSAD (PI: Constance Moore; Status: Completed 2008). Title: Brain-to-serum lithium ratio in the elderly: An in vivo lithium magnetic resonance spectroscopy study.
- NIMH: K01-MH01978 (PI: Constance Moore; Status: Completed 2008). Title: Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in Affective Illness.
- Private Family Foundation (PI: Jean Frazier MD; Role: Co-Investigator; Status: Completed 2008). Title: Longitudinal MRI study in Children with Bipolar Disorder and Psychotic Disorders.